Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

60# draw weight

Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default 60# draw weight

Do you consider 60# draw weight a youth or an adult bow?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Adult. I'd say more adults shoot with 60 pound limbs than ones that shoot with 70.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input rory
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

don't matter what it is, as long as you can draw it without yelling and hurting yourself under a shot condition
Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't matter as long as you can sit on a bucket and draw it back without throwing your back out doing so or raising your feet. That is how they say to do it to know if you are shooting too much weight. If you have to put the bow over your head and throw your back into it and fight it back, its too much. I shoot 63# with a 410grn arrow and almost never fail to completely pass through. Ted Nuget shoots 50 pounds.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-11-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well I tell you why I ask I was bidding on a 2009 bear game over fully loaded it was 60 pounds draw my high bid was 320.00 I ended up getting out bid so I looked again and found another ending in 20 minutes the high bid was 180.00 so I waited it out to the last seconds of the auction and bid 250 I won the auction its a fully loaded bear game over with 70 pound draw weight,I am ready to try a more modern bow out.Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Before the big letoffs 60# was usually the limit for most adult hunters. Very rare to see #70 or more. I shot 60# for target archery when most shot 50#.

Now I see these supposedly "ace" hunter guys on TV pulling WAY too much weight. They're shooting with their arms and not their back muscles. If you can't extend your bow arm and pull the string to your anchor position without contortions you are shooting too much bow weight.

(Used to have my own archery shop, shot pro for Bear Archery and won two state championships, a great lakes (5 states) sectional and took 17th in the nation only because I mis-set my sight and lost the score on one arrow. I've taught two state champions also.)

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-07-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Before the big letoffs 60# was usually the limit for most adult hunters. Very rare to see #70 or more. I shot 60# for target archery when most shot 50#.

Now I see these supposedly "ace" hunter guys on TV pulling WAY too much weight. They're shooting with their arms and not their back muscles. If you can't extend your bow arm and pull the string to your anchor position without contortions you are shooting too much bow weight.

(Used to have my own archery shop, shot pro for Bear Archery and won two state championships, a great lakes (5 states) sectional and took 17th in the nation only because I mis-set my sight and lost the score on one arrow. I've taught two state champions also.)
I have been there with the to much weight,I was trying to finger shoot with a 70 pound draw it was cold that day and I held back at full draw for 3 or so minutes I couldn't feel my fingers for 3 weeks after that tickled when I washed my hands even,Congards on the 2 championships.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the ever increasing speeds, I won't EVER have a 70 lb bow again. With 60 lbs, I can now get the speed I use to get from 70+, save my shoulders, draw easier in the cold and practice longer. All with more KE and Momentum with a heavier arrow than 10 years ago.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

i have a 60-70# bow
and have it set at 60#'s
and i am an adult in decent shape.
I have shot 55# and would prefer 50-55 over 60#,
even if you can comfortably draw it back,
lower poundage lets you hold it steady for longer at full draw,
no point being able to draw it back if your going to be shaking to hit your mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.