Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Every scrap of meat

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
bigcountry

Default Every scrap of meat

Who here butchers thier own and takes off every scrap of meat? I guess some will call me wasteful, but I don't anymore. I used too. But my family does not like deer meat with alot of fat, silverskin, or cartledge.

I just take off the hinds, pull out the straps, inner loins and shoulders, might slice off the brisket meat. But I rarely mess with the flank meat, or the rib meat, or much of the neck.

I generally cut the meat off the shoulders and carefully take out most of the silverskin or connecting tissue. Rest goes to the dogs, or in the trash. I like my burger to be pure red.

Anyone else or is everyone 100% meat renderers.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Spike

I do exactly what you do! All of my friends do the same. Might as well use what you can use.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

thats how we do it. i have a couple buddys that own kennels so the rest goes to the dogs
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

It depends. It seems like I do with it whatever way time allows. I make alot of canned meat,sausage, bologna, jerky, and deer sticks. So when Im able to I try and cut everything down to bone. But so far this year I've only been cutting good stuff. If I get a doe over my christmas break tho I'll have time to cut it down nice.
-Jake
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

I remove most of the silver skin and tendons then grind everything but the steaks out of the rear quarters, straps, and loins. I make my own summer sausage, breakfast sausage, meat sticks, and stuff like that, and have to add some pork fat to the meat anyways to keep it from drying out too much. So if I leave some of the deer fat, I don't have to add as much pork.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I use to take off every scrap of meat but I have to admit that since we are allowed so many deer here in Central Va that I generally do exactly as you described on the thread. I have a friend that is a chef and he takes the larger bones and boils them down. Not too much goes to waste anyways.....
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

backstraps, tenderloin, four quarters...then i'll trim the carcass within reason (there's a lot of meat high on the back near the butt end, for example). but, no, i don't mess with the ribs and any of that stuff.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Spike

We always keep the good stuff, cut off all the silver skin and fat, we usually keep the hind quarters for steaks. the back straps for chops, the innerloins. We use the front legs for either stew meat or grinds, but most of the time we use the neck for a roast or stew meat and keep the front legs primarily for grinds. We cut off all the junk and it taste alot better when its cut up the proper way. Using certain areas of the deers anatomy for certain cuts and other areas for grinds and stew meat makes a huge difference. If you own a proccesing business and practice these methods, your customers will keep coming back year after year. If you are the guy that throws in alot of fat tallow and silver skin in his grinds or fails to take it off his steaks, dont be suprised if you hear your customers talking about how gamey or " strong" the meat smells when its cooking and also how strong and gamey it tastes as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
bigcountry

Last year, I killed a monster at 7AM. We are 2 hours from home and buddy wanted to keep hunting the evening. It got up to 65F or so, so I pulled to the shade, and stuck 4 bags of ice on him. So needless to say I didn't get home until 9PM, and decided to treat myself to get a butcher to handle the deer.

Well $65 later, I remembered why I have done my own for 10 years. burger tasted like I just ate a candle. About 30% white with fat/silverskin. And I specifically told him, "if you have to waste meat, its ok, I don't like a bunch of fat, and cartledge".

I realize for him to turn a profit, he has to have it processed in 2 hours, but I agree, its better to waste meat than to turn off people. I think thats the reason venison gets such a bad wrap sometimes. Just processed by someone who throws everything in thier grinder.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Last year, I killed a monster at 7AM. We are 2 hours from home and buddy wanted to keep hunting the evening. It got up to 65F or so, so I pulled to the shade, and stuck 4 bags of ice on him. So needless to say I didn't get home until 9PM, and decided to treat myself to get a butcher to handle the deer.

Well $65 later, I remembered why I have done my own for 10 years. burger tasted like I just ate a candle. About 30% white with fat/silverskin. And I specifically told him, "if you have to waste meat, its ok, I don't like a bunch of fat, and cartledge".

I realize for him to turn a profit, he has to have it processed in 2 hours, but I agree, its better to waste meat than to turn off people. I think thats the reason venison gets such a bad wrap sometimes. Just processed by someone who throws everything in thier grinder.
I have to agree 100% Most of the time when people complain about the taste of venison, its because it wasn't processed right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.