Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

morning or evening hunting?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Spike

During gun week, weather and day of week have an impact also. Opening day, with thousands of hunters hitting the woods, the deer are running wild all day. Sometimes I'll skip Tuesday all-together, because the deer are whooped and scared, and sitting tight. Wednesday there's a lot less hunters, the deer are somewhat more rested, hungry, and get to moving again. Since they're nocturnal, this is when your "morning vs evening" debate comes to play.

If the weather drops 20 + degrees overnight, it may cause the deer to move, where if it's warm and raining, they'll be sitting tight. The colder the weather, the tighter I sit. On the warm and wet days I tend to start walking. You can walk pretty quiet with a soft, wet ground, and falling rain will help drown out your noise and sent. I get almost as many deer walking as I do sitting, usually mid day. But I definately get the largest majority of my deer in the mornings, sitting.

Like Chuck, I hunt all day, except I come in for lunch at noon unless I'm getting desperate towards the end. I normally get three deer in the first gun week. I push a lot, so I get pushed a lot in return, and that definately helps, I've had a lot of deer kicked up to me mid day. Waiting a few extra minutes before heading in to lunch sometimes works, let the woods get stirred up and see if anything heads my way.