Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

morning or evening hunting?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I love talking to guys who hunt in a highly pressure WMA and bags 7-8 deer a season..I learned one thing from these guys that I have adopted....THEY HUNT ALL DAY..
Deer can appear at any given time...

Mine..40% at Morning
40% between 1-3:00
20% in the Evening
i cannot physically last all day. i last about 3- 3 and half hours at BEST. im pretty impatient for a hunter, but its somethign im working on more and more. and its true that deer CAN appear at any given time but morning and dusk is the most likely because there moving more and hungry
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
This year we saw nothing in the morning and bunches in the evening, RIGHT at closing time (about 4:30).

Definitely evening.
+1

I got a nice buck on my sister & bro-in-law's farm up in New York just before Thanksgiving at 4:00 pm. He was cruising down the edge of the ridgeline, zig zagging in and out of the brush and the upper pasture. I dropped him right then and there at about 110 yards with my .308 rifle.

The only thing I have ever killed in the morning was a pair of ducks, back when I tried my hand at waterfowling. Note: You either have to be crazy, or extremely dedicated to be a true waterfowler - I froze my a$$ way too many times!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

I guess it depends on the area. I have gotten most of my deer in the morning but starting to get them in the evening in the last few years because of the area I am hunting. I much prefer getting them in the morning though, it leaves me time to dress them out and to track them in daylight if needed.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Spike

It all depends where you are hunting. If you are hunting in hilly country in the woods you would want to hunt that in the morning when they are going to their bedding areas. If you are hunting over a field or food plot you would want to hunt that at night and try to catch them when they are going to feed. Good luck
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last few years I have seen more deer in the evening but seen nicer bucks in the mornings. I need to start packing lunch and hunt all day!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Spike

As you probally already know, being in the stand as much as you can is always the best. But for me, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE hunting evenings, there is just something about it that I love. I like mornings too, but evenings are definately my favorites.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I think we would all go nuts all day..thus the reason I read my Bible..I've killed all my deer while reading my Bible." { New Testament} except for one I got as an unbeleiver in 1970

A. 4 chapters burns up one hour approxmately..I read 10 verses and then scan my sourondings..with binoculars..

B. The Word builds your faith so your expectancy of seeing a deer multiplies.
Romans 10:17

C. It pleases God ..so..{ -; extra grace from above is very good.
John 14:23

D. Purifies your thoughts ,

If I never had my Bible I couldn't sit for 3 hours..to boring. Last week I went 12..my venison came at sundown..he was skirting the outside and came into a clearing for a bite to eat.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DROX
I love to hunt the morning, but I'm thinking I have seen more big bucks in the evening. Part of why I like mornings is getting up way before the crack of dawn and watching the sun rise. Maybe the best part of morning hunting is that should I be successful I have all day to process the meat. Besides I don't like tracking blood trails at night. And processing animals at night is usually a way for me to cut a finger or worst!
X 2 ..... I like to hunt the mornings and watch the woods wake up. Plus having all day to deal with the deer and not have to track it at night. However, in the past I have seen more bucks in the AM but deer movement seems more sporadic. In the evenings, it seems like they come off the ridge all at once. I can hear them. It's just a matter if they get to me in time. But as stated above, you shoot one at night then you have find it etc ... Also in the morning, if you take one, you have time to wait for another one to come along. In the eve seems to be a 30-60 minute window.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Spike

Morning hunting for sure.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I think all of us would rather score one in the morning..because of the ease of processing..but when your entire trip is 180 miles..I can't justify not hunting all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.