Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's on your all day checklist >

What's on your all day checklist

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's on your all day checklist

Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I was wondering what TP was LOL ..I keep a roll of paper towells in the truck.it never fails...as soon as I park the truck I got to go..but I'd rather go there then near the stand..I mean it's everytime..I think it's the excitement and the coffee...

Johnny I agree about the compass...I brought mine into the class to calibrate some handmade compasses that my students made..one of my naughty kids stold my compass...so I quickly bought another one. I needed it on my next hunt. I only walked 1/4 mile off the trail to set up..it got dark..and it didn't take long to realize I was bewildered..I brought out my new 4.95 Walmart compass to realize I was going in the wrong direction..In 2 minutes I was back on track. MUST have a compass.

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-07-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Spike

an extra set of gloves, hand warmers, extra knife, and a drag rope with a handle. For mornings a thermos of coffee too.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike

oh and always good to have a lighter or waterproof matches.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

all day, I need more than a PB&J and 2 bottles of water.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

my last all day was simply 3 tangerines off my tree and one bottle of water,,,it;s a partial fast.

For me ALL day is tough as nails,,,so in case I don't get a deer I'll get a radical change in my spirit..so I fast , pray and read alot of God;s Word. The deer is just icying on the cake. I've gone 6 1/2 days before without any food..simply water.
So I hunt for 2 reasons
Quality time with God
Hopes for deer meat.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Spike

Depending on the difficulty of the hike, I may take a couple bananas for the potassium and maybe 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of gatorade or something with elctrolytes to avoid cramping and dehydration. O yea, an IFAK (Improved First Aid Kit) comes with all the basic equipment, including a tourniquet (better safe than sorry item) . Beer on ice at the house for my return home haha.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I love the drag rope and handle idea...DANG!! I wished I 'd remembered that..I had the rope and could have made a handle..my back is still hurting from reachihng down and dragging the 300yds before I could use my game cart.

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER OF THE DRAG ROPE AND HANDLE
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Ditto on the matches/lighter and the TP. As far as survival-type stuff, I always have a means of starting a fire. I also have a plastic whistle and a small piece of tapered candle, to help get the fire going.

I didn't see first aid kit on the list. Some folks think a cell phone is a sub for a first aid kit; I wouldn't want to depend on a cell phone to stop arterial bleeding. Nothing too fancy, just a couple of pressure bandages, maybe a bandaid or two, and perhaps adhesive tape to wrap a sprained ankle.

Also, a cleaning kit. A slip and fall can leave you with snow, mud, whatever in your rifle barrel. You won't get it out with a stick, or at least I wouldn't depend on getting all of it out with a stick. Ever seen a blown barrel? Lotsa steel flying in all the wrong directions. Cleaning kit in the truck could be the difference between driving home with a plugged barrel and pressing onward.

Pee bottle? I go right out of the stand. It's never been a problem.

I like the New Testament. I carried one a time or two. Should maybe have at it again.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

would add more first aid stuff,
keep a basic first aid kit on me all the time in the woods,
and what goes in the first aid kit will vary depending on how deep in the woods i go.
as with TP and firestarter
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to start a thread about the pee bottle.{ -;