HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does it ever get to cold to hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/335662-does-ever-get-cold-hunt.html)

lonewolf1990 12-05-2010 02:43 PM

Does it ever get to cold to hunt

i know the deer dont care about the cold i was just wondering if it ever gets to cold for you guys to go out for me im not a big fan of low temps and wind, i dont mind the cold but the cold winds makes it bad. Its gonna be 14 degrees with high winds

Daveboone 12-05-2010 02:53 PM

Ive had days when I hope for 14 degrees!
High winds make for unsafe hunting in the woods that I generally hunt, and the deer also tend to hunker down until it ends. BUT...I want to be in the woods when it ends.
14 degrees with the sun out certainly makes a diff. you know the deer will be sunning themselves. I figure there are no deer indoors, so try to make do with what weather is given. It takes alot of preparation for cold like that- first rate boots, hat, gloves, lots of pocket warmers and layered clothing. When stand hunting, enclosed blinds you can move a bit in helps. avoid the caffeine, eat a very hardy breakfast and carry a thermos.

country1 12-05-2010 03:03 PM

If I feel a cold or flu coming on, I do not go out. Take energy foods, non-alcoholic liquids and something with which to start a fire with you. Learn how to make a snow cave, if something does happen where you cannot get out that night you will have a better chance at survival.

Soilman 12-05-2010 03:18 PM

It was 12 degrees in NW WI where I hunt opening morning of the rifle season, deer moved great. There was no wind, and I agree that wind will make them sit tight. My best hunting has always been in snow.

+1 for after the storm passes the deer will be cold, hungry, and moving to get food.

lonewolf1990 12-05-2010 03:23 PM

i love to hunt during and after snow storms but that cold wind gets to me so i will prob go out alittle later in the day and see what i can do

BigDaddy12t 12-05-2010 03:37 PM

Well, the windchill here today was -1, and I decided not to hunt. Some of it was the temp, but some of ot was that I decided that it would be a good day to do the Christmas Tree thing, and do some things around home that I had been neglecting. I still have one more week of muzzleloder season, and then the last couple of weeks of archery, so hopefully I will be able to get out a couple more times.

the blur 12-05-2010 04:45 PM

yesterday, upstate NY. 20 degree's and windy. I froze my a$s off. The wind was a killer. after 2 hours, I walked back to the car.
went to sleep for 2 hours.

sun finally came out & I went back out.

Still no deer. got a nice wind burn.

cal516 12-05-2010 04:58 PM

Deer move more when it's cold. You have to be bundled up and comfortable. When I get too cold I catch myself being restless and moving a lot so make sure you are ready.

marshyhope 12-05-2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cal516 (Post 3734919)
Deer move more when it's cold. You have to be bundled up and comfortable. When I get too cold I catch myself being restless and moving a lot so make sure you are ready.

Totally agree. That's why I like my ground blind in cold or rainy weather. Last year, here on the eastern shore of MD, we had two back to back blizzards.....which is rare here. I hunted during both of them and killed two deer on each of those evening hunts with the ML. I had on so many clothes, I looked like a shivering camo pillsbury dough boy (or girl). The snow was coming down heavy and I was frozen so I dressed them and left them in the snow belly down and came back the next morning for them.

Horacio 12-05-2010 05:46 PM

Certainly it depends on where you are but then again, people living in different climates are acclimated differently. What's cold for me is mild to hunters in Minnesota, I'm sure but they think I'm insane hunting in 85 degrees here so....

Generally no, it doesn't get too cold here for me. I can layer up pretty good and I have enough natural insulation....