Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Base Camp Ideas

Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Spike

Default Base Camp Ideas

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for good base camp ideas. Money is increasingly becoming a rare commodity for most of us, but I don't have a lot of good public (or private) land close by. With that said, I am blessed with four months of deer hunting here in Ohio and have some some really nice places to hunt within an hour or two. Renting a cabin isn't affordable long-term, but buying a tent is.

I do a lot of overnight camping throughout the year (including winter), but I've never camped for the sake of hunting during hunting season. I'm planning on camping at state parks which are often adjacent to state wildlife areas I can hunt. I would like to go for at least three days at a time, two to three times a year between December and February (work prevents me from going sooner). My sister also lives at the base of a mountain in the Catskill Mountains of New York which backs up to thousands of acres of state land I can hunt. I do have a -15 degree Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag, so I could get by without a stove, but I'd like to thrive rather than just survive out there for three or four days so I can be in better condition to hunt.

If I had the money, I might invest in a Montana Canvas tent, even a used one, however, they are expensive after buying the tent AND frame (and I drive a hatchback). For the $500-600 range, Cabela's has their "Big Horn III" and "Ultimate Alaknak" tents (which are probably about 70 plus pounds). A stove would be an additional two or three hundred dollars if I went this route.

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives? If not, do you have anything to say about these tents or setting up base camps in general? While we're at it, you may want to chime in about wood vs. pellets vs. propane stoves.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

Personally, Id be checking for used popups. My father-in-law bought one for 500 bucks and it was in great shape. Most people are looking to move popups for bigger, fancier 5th wheel campers. Popups have a stove and all the other necessities. I think even a hatchback could pull a popup. Just my two cents though
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Spike

Pop-ups will suffice until you reach lower temps. At that point the moisture created inside becomes a real problem. We used one for deer hunting a few years ago when the lows dropped into the teens. In the morning, the inside surfaces of the canvas and the fiberglass top were covered with moisture. It was like a morning after a rain in there. Everything is wet...sleeping bags, etc. I also think the moisture from the propane in the buddy heater we used for additional heat added to the problem.

This year I spent some time restoring a 16' hard shell camper. Pulled out all of the unnecessary stuff - bathroom, sink, fridge, and left the stove-top and oven. Installed 2 bunks and also installed a vented propane furnace that didn't require any electric or battery for a fan. Since much of the interior was shot due to a leaky roof, I was able to add 1 1/2" insulation as I rebuilt the walls and ceiling. It worked great for hunting this year. Warm and dry.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by possumMO
Personally, Id be checking for used popups. My father-in-law bought one for 500 bucks and it was in great shape. Most people are looking to move popups for bigger, fancier 5th wheel campers. Popups have a stove and all the other necessities. I think even a hatchback could pull a popup. Just my two cents though

Most pop ups weigh 1500-2000 lbs empty
Be hard pressed to find a hatchback with a towing capacity beyond 1000 lbs
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

electric at the tent sites is $2 more, and at your temps, that is cheap...electric heater....and a vent on the roof of the tent to let out the evaporated moisture produced from your breathing all nite, which leads to condensation inside the tent. not to mention the moisture in the air.
no electric? whewww hard to camp in the freezin azzz cold...much less get up in the morning and get dressed to go hunt..its a real downer...
we do it every year in 20-60f degree weather...and those 20's and 30's were tough..but after the electric heater, it was very comfortable..
Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Spike

I would say use a normal tent and your sleeping bag and get a heater. My friend and I have roughed it like that before but out of the back of a Tahoe. It worked out alright we were comfortable. Rough it until you can afford something better. Good luck and stay warm.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
electric at the tent sites is $2 more, and at your temps, that is cheap...electric heater....and a vent on the roof of the tent to let out the evaporated moisture produced from your breathing all nite, which leads to condensation inside the tent. not to mention the moisture in the air.
no electric? whewww hard to camp in the freezin azzz cold...much less get up in the morning and get dressed to go hunt..its a real downer...
we do it every year in 20-60f degree weather...and those 20's and 30's were tough..but after the electric heater, it was very comfortable..
Interesting idea about the electric heater. I don't think anyone has thought/suggested that. That will work at some camping areas, but I don't know if they keep the electricity on in the winter here in Ohio. They close down certain amenities and don't staff the camping area during winter months to collect money. Water is off, but the power may be too since people are on the honor system to pay before they leave. If not, this may be something for me to take advantage of. Great suggestion! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liberty1743
Interesting idea about the electric heater. I don't think anyone has thought/suggested that. That will work at some camping areas, but I don't know if they keep the electricity on in the winter here in Ohio. They close down certain amenities and don't staff the camping area during winter months to collect money. Water is off, but the power may be too since people are on the honor system to pay before they leave. If not, this may be something for me to take advantage of. Great suggestion! Thanks!
honor system or not, should be power there...the rangers and wardens check the boxes, they will be going through taking license plates and making sure your being honest
we were actually using a summer tent..ya know? netting in the top with a rain cover. got to like 12 degree's once, was nice to get dressed in a warm tent, wile the truck warmed up.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

The toughest part of what you want to do will be wanting to go the 2nd time. Being constantly outside that time of year burns major calories. Making hot meals at least a couple times a day becomes neccessary, not a luxury. I dont think any tent fuel powered heaters are used anymore in tents due to the flame/ carbon monoxide threat.
Be sure to pick a tent made for winter use, or 4 season use to hold up to seasonal winds and snow acccumulation. Put foam mattresses down on the ground for insulation. they will make a very big difference. Be sure to totally change into fresh dry clothes at the end of each day.Eat high carb, high energy meals and alot of snacks to keep the furnace burning. I certainly can relate to the cash limitations, but perhaps for yourself down the road, a beater pick up with a cap would be a good alternative. I have spent many a deer season night in my pickup. I put down plywood and the foam for insulation, and can usuallly be quite comfortable. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Spike

i just got back from a week of camping/hunting.ive got a tent that is very similar to cabelas alaskan guide tent.my tent is hexagon 10x13.i heated it with the smaller buddy heater.got about 90 hrs of use from a 20lb propane bottle.didnt have any condensation at all.but my tent is essentialy a double walled tent with the full coverage fly.im going to add a small battery powered fan to distribute the heat better.2 things to consider,if you go by yourself,get a tent you can easily put up alone.mine is doable,but a pain.get a tent larger than you think you need.on days when its too cold to sit around or cook,and your confined to the tent you will be glad you got a larger one.if you will have electric,by all means use electric appliances.some guys in a huge brand new pop up camped by me.they had a furnace in it and a small honda generator(very quiet)to power the lights and furnace blower fan.i cant say i wasnt envious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.