Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The things people take for Granted! >

The things people take for Granted!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The things people take for Granted!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default The things people take for Granted!

Ughhhh! Ticks me off man, My Soon to be Fiance' just called me, They are up at the Huntin Camp and her brother (Christian) was hunting with her younger brother(Jared), He's 12 and the one that shot the big 11 pt. 2 weeks ago. Anyways, A deer comes out on the food plot and he tell's his older brother Christian he see's horns and Christian asks if he a shooter, N Jared goes Oo ya, he's way bigger than my 11. Well its gettin pretty dark at this point, The reason Christian couldn't see him to good. Well he goes ahead and takes the shot. Deer Jumps kicks hauls off into the Wood's they hear him Crash. So there pretty confident that they shot a Huge buck.

Well They call there dad, He comes down and they go track the deer. We'll they walk up on this big body'd 6 point with a little basket rack. Maybe a 8 inch spread and probally 5 inches tall. IDK
Dad starts Gettin ticked n Im sure asked what were they seeing etc.Bottom line he wasn't a happy camper. My girl texted me and said Christian shot a big buck before they found it. Well, they found the deer.
I call My girl and I knew something was wrong, She said nothin I can't talk, Im like uhmm why? Well a few minutes later she told me this story and was complaining and telling me that he shot a deer like the ones I do. Im like excuse me? She starts tellin me how he only shoots big deer and he's some great hunter. Im like well can you send a picture? She's like NO! Im like why? IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD! A deer is a deer and in my opinion IF YOU PUT TIME IN STAND SHOOT A DECENT DEER, Spend time in the Woods, HAVE FUN, AND PROVIDE FOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY, THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS! She starts tellin me all this nonsence about me being Jealous and mad because I can't hunt.

Im Overseas right now. I can't hunt! I won't be home until March!
It just pisses me off how unappreciative people are and how they take Life and Freedom for Granted'! UGHHH! Im sorrry guys I had to vent!

Anyways I told her he needs to be proud of that deer. Any deer I work for is a trophy in my book. As long as it's taken legally!

Last edited by dpj1030; 12-05-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

You are right. she is wrong.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! On top of that she told me that all I care about is hunting and if I know so much and spend so much time in the woods why haven't you killed "That Monster" yet. I told her simply because Im 20 years old my parent's never had the money to afford a lease and I have hunted my Uncles lease a few times here and there and Other than that, Management Areas. I have been hunting management areas Every day I don't have work for the past 3 years. One day things will come together for me. Other than that I've just been taking the Decent 8's Big 6's Whatever I can. Any legal buck in a Management Area is a trophy, Ha with as much pressure and knowledge them deer have gained off other hunters. Anywayyy...
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think too often people get too hung up on the "trophy buck" ideas. I had rather have a good time and hunt. Younger people, should have a lot more leeway in what they shoot. I don't know how old Christian is, but seems he took the word of a 12 year old in judging the size of the buck. He made a good shot, got the deer and now everybody is pissed off at the kid. Give him a break. No way under any circumstance I would cuss at a kid for shooting a deer that didn't meet "standards".
Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Your attitude is fine; what this dad and his wife are teaching their kids is sick and perverted. And no I'm not kidding.

This sort of crap is getting way too carried away anymore. Yet turn on television and it's the bs we're fed day in and day out--and all the fancy products that go along with it.

Disgusting.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dpj1030
Thanks! On top of that she told me that all I care about is hunting and if I know so much and spend so much time in the woods why haven't you killed "That Monster" yet. I told her simply because Im 20 years old my parent's never had the money to afford a lease and I have hunted my Uncles lease a few times here and there and Other than that, Management Areas. I have been hunting management areas Every day I don't have work for the past 3 years. One day things will come together for me. Other than that I've just been taking the Decent 8's Big 6's Whatever I can. Any legal buck in a Management Area is a trophy, Ha with as much pressure and knowledge them deer have gained off other hunters. Anywayyy...
I've been hunting 30+ years. The biggest deer I've shot is a 9 point. It ain't like those ranch/farm TV shows for a majority of us hunters.

But my freezer is always full every year. That's what I go by. All that other s*** is useless.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Spike

Imo any deer taken legal is a trophy besides antler doesnt tatse to good
Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Spike

Sounds like you need to consider who your "soon to be" fiancee is. Sounds like she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about, nor should she talk to you like that in general about any topic. I agree that's unfortunate about him shooting one smaller than his standards but pretty crappy for the dad to cuss his son for it. Aint like he was trying to do that.

Just because you don't have trophy deer running around you everywhere doesn't have a damn thing to do with how good a hunter you are. You see little girls on tv that have never shot a gun go to those big property, high fenced hunts and shoot a monster eating corn at 50 yds. That sure doesn't make them a "good hunter".
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

To me, it is for an individual hunter to decide for themself what parameters (within the law) they set upon themselves. Every hunter has different opportunities and methods than the next as well as different goals and hopes of what they intend to get out of the whole hunting experience.

In other words, do what makes you happy, within the law and within reasonable sportsmanship.

I'd suggest keep on trucking. When them other fellers over there gnawing on that tough old buck like shoe leather, you'll be grilling up some tasty venison.

I admit, I eat everything I shoot, I like me some good venison (mmmm, dry sausage...) but I hunt horns. But, I have the opportunity to do so because I have a large slice of wild ass brush to hunt. That said, I don't grudge anyone their style (I confess, I'm not real impressed with the ear tagged/trophy mill bucks but I digress) as long as they are doing it for the right reasons.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Everyone! I agree a hundered percent. Im proud of everything I kill because to me, like I said before, Its the sport, being out in the wild enjoying God's creation and putting food on the table.
N I work for my kills, I just don't go out there and sit on a plot for 2 hours and see 20+ deer, There's many times I don't see a thing. For days straight!
There camp holds alot of big deer and there is big big "Trophy" deer, 130-150 class deer in there. And you gotta remember this is in Alabama. Sooo, I guess that's why they were upset but that crap ticks me off!
Its all good though.
Thanks Again guys for hearin me vent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.