Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm rem mag VS 300win mag

Old 12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7MM RM is a great performer on any deer and at long range.

I agree that the next level is .338 WM, at least that was my decision.

One day I'll "fill-in" with buying a .300 WM though.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

never had a 300 win mag before but iv had variouse 30 cals before includeing a 308 norma mag,i also have a 7mm rem mag,i think its a personal choice but i love the 7mm,i decided to buy a 7mm over the 300 mag simple just to try something new,and im not disapointed one bit.i am not coninvinced the 300 mag will kill any better than a 7mm mag.like someone posted previousely,id stick with what you got since you know how it performs already.id never dream of tradeing mine off,id just keep it and buy a 300 mag.if it aint broken why fix it?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Well guys I decided to do the trade. But I told the guy that I'd keep my scope and he keeps his. Mine is a burris fullfield 3x9 with the balistics drop and the one he had on it was a cheap bushnell sportview. I got it mounted and boresighted. So what ammo should I try first???
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Spike

Id say say the 300 mag. Gives you more bulet weight choices. Other than that there the same except the recoil
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have many sore shoulders from my 300 Win Mag.
I'd can slam em with either the 30-30 or the 300.
It's a toss up, both do the job, but one does it a lot better.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM
car
Typical Buck

I wouldn't trade my 7mm for anything. Great gun and it kill anything in North Amercia
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I use a .300 Win Mag on deer successfully. It's the best caliber on the planet. Put a limbsaver pad on. Trade.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Spike

I feel the differences are slight between the two cartrigdes. On paper you will see differences. In the real world, on whitetails, you will probally not be able to see many differences except in istances of a longer distance shots ( 400 yards or more) then you will only see differences in trajectory. Depending on the ammo chosen, some of the trajectory difference will be slight, some will be a little greater. For the 7mm Rem @ 400 yds. I am noting a spread of trajectory ( given various bullet choices ) From 13.4" of drop with a Remington 140gr. PSP boat-tail to drops as large as 25.9" with A-Square's 175gr. Monolithic solid and 23.6" of drop using Remington's 160 gr. Nosler Partitions. When you look at the .300 Win mag. and note trajectory you can see there is similar spreads as well. Using Federal 150 gr. Sierra pro hunt, a drop of 16.4" @ 400 yards and drops as much as 23.9" @ 400 yards can be seen when using a Federal 200gr. Trophy Bonded. Inside 400 yards it appears as the .300 win. mag compares quite well with the 7mm as far as trajectory. It will only be on shots out to 500 yds and more when the 7mm. flatter shooting capabilities would be noticed. But with drops of 50 inches at 500 yards being noted ( with some bullet choices) I would personally opt out of those shots anyways, unless I was practicing ALOT at those ranges and was extremely proficient at hitting what I was aiming at. As far as LARGER game, I always feel better suited with LARGER and heavier bullets. Especially with large, dangerous game. Which in that case I would personally opt for the .300 Win. Given its larger bullet diameter and availability of bullets up to 220 grs. I don't feel that a 220 gr. bullet is neccesary for elk, moose, or black bear. It wouldn't hurt, nor is it neccesary. people have killed ALL of these animals with 270, 280, 7mm, 308, 30-06, 300 Win. ect. Its all in YOUR personal preference. And honestly judging from the rifles you already have in your gun cabinet. I would have kept my 7mm. and went straight up to a .338 to give you a greater span in bullet diameter and versatility to your collection. Heck, most of the rifles you have right now could kill any wild game in North America, why not bump up to ( the usual minimum caliber for grizzly ) going with a .338. But since you already made the trade, good luck, and good practicing, hope you enjoy your new rifle. I just hope that you wont regret trading in your 7mm a couple years down the road. God bless.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
I use a .300 Win Mag on deer successfully. It's the best caliber on the planet. Put a limbsaver pad on. Trade.
Im 15. The recoil isnt that bad on my .300 Mag. Ive gotten scope eye 1 or 2 though.