HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How far from bait in ny? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/335487-how-far-bait-ny.html)

ABarOfSoap 12-02-2010 06:43 PM

How far from bait in ny?

I am trying to find out how far you are aloud to hunt from bait in NY, we have feeders with trail cams a few hundred yards away from the closest stand or hunter, any one know if this is ok?

TRACKER 12-02-2010 08:24 PM

I wouldnt advertise

As long as your baiting , By the way is ILEGAL in NY ,
I wouldnt want to be the owner of the property if anyone is caught....:eek2:

ABarOfSoap 12-02-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by TRACKER (Post 3733350)
As long as your baiting , By the way is ILEGAL in NY ,
I wouldnt want to be the owner of the property if anyone is caught....:eek2:

So putting corn out at a trail cam is illegal?

SteveBNy 12-03-2010 01:10 AM

All baiting and feeding of deer is illegal in NY.

MizzouMonster 12-03-2010 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap (Post 3733357)
So putting corn out at a trail cam is illegal?

Doesn't the conservation dept. of NY publish the hunting regulations? Here, I can pick up an up to date copy of the 2010 Deer & Turkey hunting regulations, at about any sporting goods store and even at Wal-Mart.

MizzouMonster 12-03-2010 05:10 AM

Yep, as others have stated, it's illegal to bait deer in New York state. So, if you're placing corn at trail cams, you're in violation of the regulations. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the penalties are stiff in NY.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Deer and Moose Feeding Regulations

What are the restrictions on deer and moose feeding?

Part 189 of Title 6 of the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York was last amended on July 28, 2010. Part of this rule restricts the feeding of deer and moose.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
2. Distribution of food to livestock.
3. Distribution of food to captive deer and elk.
4. Cutting of trees and brush.
5. Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

TRACKER 12-03-2010 07:36 AM

That abought covers it

As I said NO FEEDING in NY is legal .
Including at trail cameras .
I,d NEVER intentionaly turn in a fellow hunter .(It makes us all look bad ,}
There are so many hunters that illegaly do this and yes it realy tees me off .
I totaly changes the deers , at least the does travel patterns .
And where theres does there will eventualy be bucks .
I can tell right after bow season here in NY , the travel patterns start to change ..
Most I talk to say everyone else is doing it ... AAARGGHH....:s9:
Come on guys its got to change somewhere sooner or later so why not be the first to set the example and just say NO to Baiting...:happy0001:

Terasec 12-03-2010 08:41 AM

Can other wildlife, like songbirds, still be fed?

Yes, if deer and moose are not attracted to the food, or it is inaccessible to them.
----
What i find interesting is
that its legal to bait bear up to 1 week before bear season,
now what constitutes as legl bear bait so as to comply with it not being accessible to deer?

scribbler444 12-03-2010 08:53 AM

(TRACKER) I can tell right after bow season here in NY , the travel patterns start to change ..
Most I talk to say everyone else is doing it ... AAARGGHH....

thats so true Im an avid bowhunter I bowhunt twice as much as I rifle hunt probably even more. I see deer all bow season long an average of about 7 a day. rifle season comes and I can go days and days without seeing them. There was a week in bow I was averaging 7 different bucks a day. The same 2 8s everyday and numerous 4s. I would have 5 bucks walking around me at the same time. Now i go in the woods and Im lucky to see a button buck

scribbler444 12-03-2010 08:54 AM

there is about a 1percent chance of shooting a monster buck over a foodpile unless in texas or something like that. Put out a trail cam and 99percent of the time that deer will be there between 11pm and 4am then gone.