Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you feel the recoil ?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot more and you'll feel less. That being said I never have really felt recoil or had my ears start ringing when shooting deer, even when I was new to guns. If you just sight in and hunt every year, yeah, it's gonna hurt at the range. I shoot hundreds of rounds of centerfire (mostly 7mmRM) a year and don't really pay much attention to recoil anymore...
Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

my .338 mag doesn't kick that much to me. i'm 16 years old and im not a big built kid but im good sized but when my buddy who is 18 stands 6'5 286lbs says it kills his shoulder. i dont notice the recoil whether im hunting or even at the range.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Not to hijack the thread, but what about the noise from the shot? If you shoot a deer rifle at the range w/o earplugs your ears will ring. Yet you shoot at a deer and hardly notice the noise. I can understand being so focused, excited, etc, that you don't notice the sound, but it still seems your ears would ring after the shot. So why don't they?

Oh, except the time I had a muzzle break on my Browning BAR. That rang my ears good after shooting a deer. I switched to a solid piece for the BOSS system after that.
For me,even taking a shot at a nice buck the sound bothers me more than the recoil.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Shoot more and you'll feel less. That being said I never have really felt recoil or had my ears start ringing when shooting deer, even when I was new to guns. If you just sight in and hunt every year, yeah, it's gonna hurt at the range. I shoot hundreds of rounds of centerfire (mostly 7mmRM) a year and don't really pay much attention to recoil anymore...
nicely said,aint it funny how ppl can complain about a sore butt while they sit on a pot of gold.ill leave it up to the weekend worriors to complain about the small things,maybe the heaters in thier trucks arent warm enough also.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Recoil

Out of curiosity, what slugs do you use in your Tracker II. I use Hornady 12ga. They have less recoil than some of the others, and still have long range and accuracy.

Originally Posted by Tracker II
I can only put four or five deer slugs through my 5 1/4 lb single shot 12 ga at the range before having to quit. The next day, my shoulder, upper arm, and chest area show heavy bruising and my neck bothers me quite a bit too. But when I take a shot at a deer, I don't feel a single thing. Methinks that the brain is so laser focused on the shot that it blocks out all other stimuli.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I broke my right clavicle and dislocated my left shoulder (which for some reason still hurts 6 months later) and when i shoot my savage 7 mag at a deer i never feel it. last year i was very worried about dislocating my shoulder while sitting in a stand and not being able to get down... but when the deer finally showed it's self i took the shot and iddnt think twice about my shoulder.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people misinterpret percussion for recoil………………………

If you use BOTH ear plugs AND ear muffs, you’ll be hard pressed to discern between a .243 Win and a .338 WM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Spike

You never feel it or hear it in a hunt situation. Think about it.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

I read the beginning of this thread the other day, and didn't give it another thought until this morning. I shot a deer with my 12ga Mossberg 535 20" barreled turkey gun. When I was listening for it to go down (which it did) I realized that my ears were ringing I don't think I would have noticed it except that this thread was fresh in my mind.

Go backstraps!!!

rw
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly I do not "feel" the recoil ... until maybe some time after! I've shot everything from a 243 Win. to a 416 Rem. Mag., and a bunch of 300 "Mags" in between .... and I chase Tom's with a 3 1/2" turkey load ..... now there is a stomper! I guess it is the focus, concentration and adrenalin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.