Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you feel the recoil ?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Spike

its called adrenaline. youll be so pumped and focused on that deer that everything else isnt on your mind. Now im a bird hunter and this is my first year deer hunting. i wear ear plugs when bird hunting because my ears will ring, but when i shot my buck this year shootin a 2 3/4 inch sabot movin 2000fps, i dont even remember the kick or the bang. i was much more excited deer hunting then i ever am with birds thats for sure
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I hate recoil period!

When shooting at game I never feel or notice it but at the range I hate shooting anything over a .270 and don't care to shoot that very many times.

It isn't that it hurts it just I start to jerk and at times pull the gun up skywerd on the shot which make the acuracy terrible and causes me to have less confidence in my shooting skills do to poor shooting at the range. But like I said in the feild I never have had a problem hitting my target not matter the cal.

What works best for me is to get the feel for the gun and not worry about if the shots are perfectly zeroed in and have my dad or my son do the fine tuning of the scope or iron sights. Then I take the gun and if it is really close as it is usually with in an inch of the bulleye at 100yrds I don't shoot it anymore until I go hunting. And I repeat this every year.

I will flinch with any gun .22 or what ever, if i shoot it very much. I am not a small guy either 6'3" 245lbs. I don't understand why I have this problem at the range other than maybe the fear of missing. In the feild put me a deer out to 250yrds or so with my .270 and it is a done deal. I don't miss where i aim but do that at the range and I will be lucky to hit anywhere on the target at that distance after a few shots.

Guess I am a wuss!!! but at least i know my limitations and what works best for me.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the difference in perceived recoil between game and paper is a mainly a mind game. You have to train yourself not to flinch when you're at the range, especially after long sessions. In terms of rifles, I haven't shot anything larger than my .308 and generally I can tolerate the recoil after about 2 boxes but anything past that I tend to get a flinch (my shoulder injury doesn't help either).

I haven't use this rifle on game yet, but before I was using that I had my slug gun and I use 3 1/2 inch turkey loads. The slug gun at the range was pretty rough, recoil-wise, and I even nailed the top of my eyebrow when I decided to experiment with 3" lightfields (my conclusion: they're unnecessary and I can't even imagine how bad those 3 1/2" Brenneke black magics kick). But when I shot a doe last year I barely noticed the recoil of the 2 3/4" slugs and I didn't notice the recoil while shooting two toms I got last spring. What I have learned, however, is that whether you're punching multiple shots through paper or one shot on an animal you have to keep your focus on where the bullet should hit the target, not where the butt of the gun is going to hit you.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Spike

I bought a lead sled this year for use at the range. Money well spend in my opinion for several reasons. I am not a very big dude, weighing in at 160lbs, but I am not afraid to shoot a big bore weapon at an animal because I believe that a little overkill is better than wounding an animal and letting it suffer. That's just my opinion though, and do not judge anybody by what they hunt with. I have found that I can spend a lot more time shooting now without getting spider web bruising in my shoulder. I also know that the gun is hitting true and I am not flinching when pulling the trigger. I have been having a lot of fun shooting several different kinds of ammo out of .22-250 and my 7mm. I do know that my 12ga slug gun kicks pretty good, and that 3 1/2 in. magnum turkey load through and extra full choke will kick like a mule, but I don't notice the recoil when I shoot at an animal.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Never when shooting at something!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wihunter32
Never when shooting at something!
Same here. I have a .338 Magnum with grizzly bear loads that make me whince just to think about shooting it. Never felt the recoil in the field.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I absolutely hate recoil! I am thinking of getting a rifle in one of the AR platforms. The M-16's I shot in the army didn't kick at all so maybe a .308 in the AR configuration won't kick too much either. The fact that you can change out the upper receiver with different calibers for the same rifle is appealing as well.
+
Old 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

with proper shooting tecniques recoil is never that bad,lots of ppl tend to hold a big gun much too tight expecting it to kick them on their butts,if they didnt do this it wouldnt be as noticeable.as far as scope eye,iv never experianced that.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta 7mm Savage. Its a mule at the range but don't feel a thing when on stand
Old 12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't feel recoil when I'm shooting at an animal and don't feel much when I'm shooting on the range. I shoot a 300 WBY on occasion and after ten rounds I start to feel it though. I'm not a small guy either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.