Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Encounter with a Bobcat.  Whats your coolest encounter? >

Encounter with a Bobcat. Whats your coolest encounter?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Encounter with a Bobcat. Whats your coolest encounter?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Encounter with a Bobcat. Whats your coolest encounter?

The other day I sat in my ladder stand for several hours while it was raining. I finally got fed up with it and decided to walk the couple hundred yards to my shoothouse. Once I got there I took off my wet clothes and kicked back and relaxed for a bit. It wasn't 20 minutes and I saw something walking across the front of the stand only about 20 yards out in the thick grass. I kept looking at it trying to figure out what it was. I was thinking it was a fox and was debating on shooting just for the heck of it. I lifted on it but continued to look around my scope to try and identify it. Once It finally got directly in front of the house in a small clearing I noticed that It was a decent size Bobcat! I was surprised and lost at what to do. I couldn't remember if there was even a season for Bobcats or not. I also thought about what my 7mag would do to such a small animal (being I would want to have it mounted). By the time I juggled all this in my mind for a few seconds it was to late. The time had passed at it had walked into the taller grass on the other side of my shoothouse and eventually into the woods. Man why didn't I take the shot!? It would really be cool to have a stuffed Bobcat to show for deer season 2010. Just wondered what the coolest thing you guys may have seen while hunting? What would y'all have done if you where in my situation?

Last edited by motorpig262; 11-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also had my first experience with a bob cat this season in ny, i had never seen one in real life, never even really knew what they look like... during bow season i see a small cat come running in, i just ignore it cause it looks like the neighbors cat, all of a sudden i look at see its face and little poofy tail, i realize its a bob cat, and reach for my bow, it ran 2 yards infront of my stand, but by the time i got my bow and drew it was 40 yards away. Would of been the easiest shot of my life if i paid attention to it.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

I have almost been trampled by moose on several occasions. Never during a moose hunt always during deer hunts. It is really scary!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't call it cool, but I got flat run over by a deer one morning. I was walking out to my stand about 5am one morning in the pitch dark without using a light. As I walked up I could hear deer moving around so I slowed down my pace trying to avoid making noise and spooking any. Right as I got to the ladder I stepped beneath it and broke a stick about the size of a broom handle. I heard a deer blow about ten feet from me and suddenly got a head on wallop that knocked me and what I think was a yearling down. We both shuffled around for a few seconds on the ground, jumped up and ran off in opposite directions. It ran where ever they go, I ran 350yds home...I went back later and got my shotgun, that's when I found deer scat and footprints... apparently we'd both soiled ourselves.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Haha that sounds similiar to my story!
Here it is,
This past week me, my dad and my brother went to texas for a hunting trip. I was sitting in a tripod watching a young 8 point eat, when i look to my right and i see a hugeee bobcat looking right at me, sitting down, in a clearing. Im like "should i shoot him?" "am i allowed to shoot him?" "if i move will i scare him off?" so i sat completely still... then he walks away back into the brush. Im like "dangit! i wanted to kill him, he was huge" after regretting my descision of not shooting him a couple minutes later i turn around and i see him! hes in the mesquite woods about 50 yards away looking at into a wheat field just sitting. I decide okay... Ima kill him. bam! that 308 did the major job. She weighed around 40 pounds. biggest bobcat ive seen in my life!! People were telling me to mount it and everything, but since its exspensive we didnt. We kept the skin and skull though. Heres a picture. And this is my bobcat encounter!
" />
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Iv seen a bobcat but my coolest encounter was when a momma bear came in with her 3 babies, they were about the size of a cat. They came in first I was like what the heck is that is it a couple of cats. Then shortly after she came in. It was by far the coolest thing I have ever seen in the woods. I mean these things were a foot to 2 feet long it was an absolute amazing experience, I was close to climbing down and picking them up but dont think momma woulda liked that very much.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Spike

I'v had two encounters i'd say are about equal.

One is the bobcat encounter, that was not 10 feet away while i was bow hunting... on the ground, and then about 5 minutes later i seen a fisher going in the same direction about 20 feet away. odd. Almost like the fisher was following the bobcat.

The other would be what i believe is a Ferrel boar/pig, i was bow hunting with my brother. It was dark out, and we thought it was a bear cub but didn't look/move like one. We realized it was a pig when it seen us and ran the way it came from. It wasn't real big, maybe the size of a pug?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

The coolest encounter I've ever had was a case of bad karma for one squirrel. There were two red squirrels chasing eachother around when all of a sudden the one being chased slipped and fell 30 yards out of the tree to an instant death. About 2-3 minutes later, out of nowhere a red-tailed hawk swoops down and snatches up the red squirrel that was still alive.

By far my coolest experience yet!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

We had a picture of a bobcat on our land (Wisconsin) probably about 10 years ago. I got a couple pictures this year of one (two great pictures, the others blurry but guessing it was him again). I saw him bowhunting in early season right at first light. He sauntered down a logging road a little bit, and all of a sudden tore into the brush and chased a rabbit for a while. He got the rabbit but I couldn't hear him/see him after that.

Super cool experience I thought. I wouldn't shoot a bobcat if I had the chance, but that's just me and they're rare around here.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Spike

I haven't seen a bobcat yet although I know they around. I've seen grey fox, bears, coyote and a couple of fishers while out hunting.

I think the best encounter was with an owl. I was bowhunting from a treestand and it was still early in the morning. A large owl swooped silently over my shoulder and landed on a tree branch right in front of me 10 feet away. It was facing away from me and had no idea I was there. After a short amount of time, it turned its head around and looked directly at me. I was close enough to it to see the startled look in its eyes just before it silently flew away.

(It was probably thinking - "Great, I can spot a mouse in the dark from 50 feet but I can't see a 200lb guy sitting in a tree.")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.