Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disrespectful Hunters!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

Public hunting falls into the same category as public fishing. How many times have you been fishing and another boat comes speeding right by your boat, making no effort to slow down and circle around at a polite distance even though they can see you are fishing?

In both hunting and fishing, there are X number of people who are informed and courteous, X number of people who don't have a clue, and X number of people who have a clue but just don't care about showing courtesy to other hunters/fishers.

I'm in my 50's, and it seems to me that the number of people who show no courtesy to others has risen dramatically over the years. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't think so.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tracker II
Public hunting falls into the same category as public fishing. How many times have you been fishing and another boat comes speeding right by your boat, making no effort to slow down and circle around at a polite distance even though they can see you are fishing?

In both hunting and fishing, there are X number of people who are informed and courteous, X number of people who don't have a clue, and X number of people who have a clue but just don't care about showing courtesy to other hunters/fishers.

I'm in my 50's, and it seems to me that the number of people who show no courtesy to others has risen dramatically over the years. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't think so.
It's not, just look at the infamous "trespassing" thread, there's more proof that for many, it's all about them.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

What's the ''infamous trespassing thread''?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

I guess one thing would be that if the other hunters put those stands up after yours were already up and they were that close, that is disrespectful as they should've looked for stands before erecting their own.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Couple things Ive learned about deer hunting on public land.

1st, sleep late and drive around at 1st light and see where guys ARENT parking, thats where you wanna go if you dont wanna bump or get bumped, I dont worry much about getting in early these days cause I almost never see deer at 1st light, its always an hour or 2 after 1st light, heck I see as many deer mid day as I do early.

2nd, other hunters get the deer up and moving, I love the guys who walk back to the truck in squads with their rifles slung over their shoulders, as if theyre convinced no deer could possible be hiding in the woods they picked to sit in that day, alot of times deer are bedded close by and those guys kick them right to me, I love it

You dont have to hike a mile or even more than a few hundered yrds from your car to find deer, in fact I find deer like hanging out closer than farther to the road, its the hunters that seem to like treking deep in the woods.

Got to agree with you on this. Due to a change in my wife's work schedule, I had to put my son on the bus a few days before I went hunting the last couple years. I was worried about how this would affect my deer hunting. Since I was going in late, I figured I would just stay in late as well. As it turns out, I saw as many deer as ever and was shocked at the #'s I saw in the middle of the day.

So as someone else stated, it may not be laziness or sleeping in, it may just be the earliest he can get in.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a guy walk right to the base of my tree, Drop his droors n Just before he started crappin, I said Heyyyyyyy Mister!? He jumped up out of his squatin position so dadburn fast pulled em up. N hi tailed it outta there. Thats actually a funny story, Needless to say I didn't seee a deer that night.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Spike

I've have guys do the very thing YOU did.

Come in late and walk threw my spot.

You gotta get there early to get a spot cause they have just as much right to be there as you do.

Early bird gets the worm.

Very reason why I no longer hunt public land.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know anyone who has private land so after hunting season this year I think I will be going knocking door to door. Just hope I don't get shot in the process. LOL!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

Early bird gets the worm.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Spike

By getting there at daylight is not bein disrespectful. Its public land. Be aware of whos hunting around you.