Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disrespectful Hunters!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

public land that's the name of the game....

if you're gonna have a problem with someone walking in on you, etc... don't hunt public land!

do what you can to avoid other hunters etc...but hey, it's what you have to deal with.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Come on out to Kansas, deerhunter. Plenty of open land out here! I'm sorry to hear that the woods are so crowded out there. The lack of space and the extra pressure on opening day has got to be getting to everyone.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

i laugh when i read some of these posts. i think some of you need to grow a back bone. dont take stuff like this as a personal attack. people are so darn sensitive. you hunt public land you will see people.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt public land and have seen alot of hunters. the only ones that really get to me are the guys that come in late, or leave early. I had a couple guys come in at like 8 o clock in the morning then left at 930 it wouldnt of been so annoying but on there way out they stoped to look at the trees 50 yards from me lol. it happens... thats public land
Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple things Ive learned about deer hunting on public land.

1st, sleep late and drive around at 1st light and see where guys ARENT parking, thats where you wanna go if you dont wanna bump or get bumped, I dont worry much about getting in early these days cause I almost never see deer at 1st light, its always an hour or 2 after 1st light, heck I see as many deer mid day as I do early.

2nd, other hunters get the deer up and moving, I love the guys who walk back to the truck in squads with their rifles slung over their shoulders, as if theyre convinced no deer could possible be hiding in the woods they picked to sit in that day, alot of times deer are bedded close by and those guys kick them right to me, I love it

You dont have to hike a mile or even more than a few hundered yrds from your car to find deer, in fact I find deer like hanging out closer than farther to the road, its the hunters that seem to like treking deep in the woods.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
You dont have to hike a mile or even more than a few hundered yrds from your car to find deer, in fact I find deer like hanging out closer than farther to the road, its the hunters that seem to like treking deep in the woods.
That will depend on what your local game warden considers "hunting from a vehicle." Just to be safe (from disturbing the deer and the law) I try to park where there is no way that it looks like I decided to pull over and hunt right there. Plus, it's not a bad idea to try to keep the sound of your car away from the deer--my first morning on my girlfriend's uncle's farm I scared up a good mess of does bedded down 100 yards past a small hill. The sound of doe bleats never sounded so frustrating. The sound of your feet, on the other hand, makes much less noise.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I feel everyones frustration as I have been on both sides of the coin. I set up an hour and a half before first light. Walked 20-25 minutes to my stand only to have a guy come in on a boat and set up right behind me. He shot a deer that ran about 50 yards from me and then he decided to track it at 730 in the morning. Pretty much prime time to see a deer. He actually walked up to my stand and asked if I saw it. Then the guy hangs out and asks if I walked in. When I said yes he said "boy, you must have gotten up early". I did, 3am in fact just to have him walk all over my hunt. I got down at 930 and went back to my truck. When I got back there I ran into 3 guys just frying there and talking about where they wanted to go. They had not even been to the area but were just randomly looking for a place. Joys of public land.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Another experience: I got in well before first light. About 20 minutes after first light I hear a gun shot nearly 30 yards away. An hour later I hear four more shots 50 Yards away. 30 minutes after two hunters coming up the woods from where the seer are supposed to ve coming. I called it a day 20 minutes later. I run into the guys on my way out. Turns out the guy shot at a doe out of truck from the parking area but missed. That was the first shot I heard. The guy goes on to say he always goes in right after first light so he doesn't get frustrated by hearing deer before he can shoot. Ah yes, public land.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

im sure you woulda done the same thing if it were you hunting and they walked through At least you dont have my problem I had 3 8 pointers chased by my stand this year by a dog. One of them was Bee lining straight towards me 50 yards away and all of a sudden turns on the jet engines and runs by. Seconds behind was a white lab with a chew toy in it mouth
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

I agree with cal... It doesn't matter how early you set up, you will still get screwed over! I was in my stand over an hour before shooting light and by my GPS 1.61 miles back. And what do you know... right at shooting light a guy comes in and sets up 40 yards from me! I shined, yelled, and waved him but he didn't care. Still just set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.