Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your bang/flop ratio?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 3 with a 30-30 many years ago and 2 dropped in their tracks while another ran 40 yards. I've since lost count of how many I shot with my .270, guessing somewhere around 40 or 50, and I can think of only 3 that ran 50 yards or less. All the rest dropped in their tracks except for the 2 that I missed. My muzzleloader on the other hand is a different story. Out of 8 I've taken, only 2 dropped in their tracks while the others fell anywhere from 20 to 100 yards.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

I use a 30-06...

28/30 are bang-flop...

only had 2 that ran about 20 yards. both were not good shots on my part.

one was with the 30-06, was walking up a hill, quartered. I ended up gut shotting him, and put another in his neck when he sat down for a "breather" at the top of the hill.

the other was with the 12 gauge nef, quartered about 30 yards away, i put it in his lung and he ran down hill 20 yards then tripped when falling and slid another 10 or so down the hill. ,
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tasumin
I use a 30-06...

28/30 are bang-flop...

only had 2 that ran about 20 yards. both were not good shots on my part.

one was with the 30-06, was walking up a hill, quartered. I ended up gut shotting him, and put another in his neck when he sat down for a "breather" at the top of the hill.

the other was with the 12 gauge nef, quartered about 30 yards away, i put it in his lung and he ran down hill 20 yards then tripped when falling and slid another 10 or so down the hill. ,

how is it a bad shot? did ya mean 200..even if, some deer can go that far with a good shot. dont beat yourself up
Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

first doe 30 yards bang flop. 2nd doe 35 yards bang flop. 1 st buck 173 yards bang flop 2nd buck 35 yards yards bang flop. all with 870 12 ga winchester partition golds. then the pest permit deer with .223 all went less than 20 yards after being shot.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

man I couldn't tell ya! You guys pay far more attention to how they died. I can think of the past 3 or 4 years kills maybe and my first deer but the rest in between are just a blur.

Figuring that out over an 18 year span! Wow, you must have far better memory than I could ever hope to have.

I guess turkey hunting is my thing so I probably could sit down and go through the 25 kills I've had on gobblers over the years. Not deer however.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

not sure about how many deer I have killed but until this year, I had missed on all 4 bucks bigger than 3 points that I had shot at. Guess I had buck fever bad! All of the does, spikes, and 3 pointers had all dropped or not gone. Finally got my first two bucks this year with a new gun! Missed my only shot with a bow...probably pushed it a little for my first bow shot 40 yards just glad I missed.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Spike

well ive shot 2 deer in a 2 year time, but anyway i use a 243 and my first doe, shot her through the shoulder, got the heart and 1 lung, she ran 50 yard down over a hill and crashed between 2 trees, then my second deer, lil 3 pointer hit it about a inch behind the shoulder came out about 4 inches be hind the shoulder, kind of a high shot but got 1 lung and it ran about 30 yards in sight before crashing

so 2 deer and only 1 ran outa sight but i have decided from now on, unless its a big dear and i dont want the chance of missing and loosing the deer then im just gonna do neck shots. that is if that shot can be taken and have a clear shot at the neck