Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger >

DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger

Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger

I saw a show on CNBC last night detailing the Remington 700 BDL problem. The trigger design was flawed ever since it was designed in the 1940s. Many, many accidental firings have occurred and Remington knew about the problem ever since the beginning. Remington didn't want to spend an extra 5.5 cents per gun to fix it. It was the Typical Corporate America Cover Up. Now they have sold millions of the popular 700 BDL rifle and it will cost them dearly to repair them. Do some research if you have one and have it repaired. CNBC showed videos of the gun misfiring when the safety was switched off or when the bolt was touched. This is a serious problem everyone should be aware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAcHvSPZZo

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/...in301947.shtml

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 11-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I dunno, I think this was a hatchet job by anti-gun CNBC. IIRC the only rifles that have had problems were ones that hadn't been maintained properly and that had the triggers messed with.

Personally I think the 700 is as safe as any rifle out there.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

There are numerous threads on this already.

And please spare us the liberal "corporations are evil" mumbo jumbo.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am no Liberal and I have seen corporate America's ways first hand. They showed documentation from Remington of the problem, do your own research. I believe in being safe with a gun, thats all. If you have a 700 and choose not to have it checked out or fixed that is your choice.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
I am no Liberal and I have seen corporate America's ways first hand. They showed documentation from Remington of the problem, do your own research. I believe in being safe with a gun, thats all. If you have a 700 and choose not to have it checked out or fixed that is your choice.
Personally, I don't trust CNBC to tell a straight story vis-a-vis a gun manufacturer. YMMV.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 AM
bigcountry

This is fairly old news, like well over a decade old.

First off, I have no idea why they are digging this up. Second, I don't like the updated trigger, third, yes, you can get the remington trigger to go off if the sear screw is not set right. I setup remington triggers all the time. Standard operation 20 years ago was to set that trigger up to break like glass, with 2-3lbs of pull. Most have been modified. Remington tells folks never set them below 3lbs.

When I adjust a remington trigger, I beat that bolt with a rubber mallet dozens of times, and slam shut it several dozen times.

Only thing I can fault remington was over a decade ago they charged folks to change out thier trigger 25 or so dollars, and then sent you back a lawyer proof 8lb trigger. They should have did it for free.

What also cracks me up is they didn't interview the several hundred gunsmiths around the world that only uses a 700 action for custom guns. Or inform people that there are many aftermarket triggers.

They didn't even ask the marine armorer if the trigger has been modified. I mean these are easy standard questions.

Don't fall for the hype.

Lastly, I love the old trigger. I do not like having the bolt fly open with the safety on. You ever go hunting in rough terrain like newfoundland, it sucks walking thru the black spruce, and find your bolt popped open and rounds fell out and all kinds of crap flew in your action.

Bottom line is this. Don't point a gun at anyone unloaded or not. Its that freakin simple. Good article that is dead on.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...el-700-trigger

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
bigcountry

Goodness, I am always so amazed how much sway TV has on guiding peoples lives.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only watched a few minutes but other than the first lady (her's seemed like a true accident) all of those people practiced HORRIBLE muzzle control. Shooting your wife in the stomach? Your son in the hand? A friend in the head? Unbelievable.

With that being said I've had 0 problems with my 700 and I feel 100% safe with it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
First off, I have no idea why they are digging this up.
Two reasons:

(1) Liberal media is anti-gun, and if they don't have enough inaccurate and sesationalist anti-gun stories which are new, they will repeate and old one and try to make it look new

(2) There isn't much else going on right now, besides how much Obama&Co. are sucking, and the Lib media certainly won't cover that.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not calling you a liberal, I'm saying that the propoganda that corporations are out to get you is pushed by liberals. It is used as a justification for Big Labor, which in turn donates hundreds of millions of dollars to Democrats. It is also used as a justification for the hyper-interventionist domestic policy by which the federal government tries to get its grubby hands into every aspect of your life, in order to protect you from yourself and from the evil corporations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.