Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger >

DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DANGER - Remington 700 BDL can fire without pulling trigger

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Ive seen 3 model 700 BDLs go off with touching the trigger...I still think there great guns though. My dad has a 700 and actually got some notice about this through a gun dealer buddy of his, the years that Remington claimed to be defective i think he said were in the 90's, dont quote me on this. But i have seen them do it, but i can only vouch for the condition of one rifle, the other two I cant, and that one rifle went off while it was leaning up against the tail gate of the truck, missing the truck thankfully. Something malfunctioned in the spring is what they told him. But reguardless you should never sweep a friendly and always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction unless your planning to pull the trigger...Everything Malfunctions!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Question

Originally Posted by crenshaw
Ive seen 3 model 700 BDLs go off with touching the trigger...I still think there great guns though. My dad has a 700 and actually got some notice about this through a gun dealer buddy of his, the years that Remington claimed to be defective i think he said were in the 90's, dont quote me on this. But i have seen them do it, but i can only vouch for the condition of one rifle, the other two I cant, and that one rifle went off while it was leaning up against the tail gate of the truck, missing the truck thankfully. Something malfunctioned in the spring is what they told him. But reguardless you should never sweep a friendly and always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction unless your planning to pull the trigger...Everything Malfunctions!
If I understand you correctly you're saying that rifle went off without anyone touching it? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be possible.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

is this just the bdl? or is it all the new models of the 700?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster
If I understand you correctly you're saying that rifle went off without anyone touching it? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be possible.

Saw it with my own eyes.. The rifle was just sitting there leaning up against the truck, and bang!!! No one within 5 feet of it.. The gun smith explained that the springs go bad, apparently the saftey mechanism is held in place with a spring, not a gun smith so i dont know all the lingo here. But either way the spring went bad and caused the safty to slip, and some how effects the trigger... Its like back pressure i guess. He actually showed us, he simulated it by repeatedly opening and closing the bolt for like two minutes and eventualy it went off again.. crazy stuff. Apparently though this is only on older models of the BDL where this is possible is what we were told...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crenshaw
Saw it with my own eyes.. The rifle was just sitting there leaning up against the truck, and bang!!! No one within 5 feet of it.. The gun smith explained that the springs go bad, apparently the saftey mechanism is held in place with a spring, not a gun smith so i dont know all the lingo here. But either way the spring went bad and caused the safty to slip, and some how effects the trigger... Its like back pressure i guess. He actually showed us, he simulated it by repeatedly opening and closing the bolt for like two minutes and eventualy it went off again.. crazy stuff. Apparently though this is only on older models of the BDL where this is possible is what we were told...
Dang, that's pretty crazy. IIRC weren't the rifles that allegedly had issues all made in the 70's? Anyone else heard that?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster
Dang, that's pretty crazy. IIRC weren't the rifles that allegedly had issues all made in the 70's? Anyone else heard that?
Ive heard of that too...and i know there were a lot issues in the 70s, i dont think they are the same, but this was not my rifle so i can not vouch for it.. My father has a 700 made in the 80s and besides the ejector going bad a few years back that rifle has been nothing but good, and my friend has a BDL made around the late 90s with no issues either. The gun i saw go off was a friend of mines uncles, and he takes care of his stuff, way better then i do. The other two rifles was while i was hunting in out of some guide camps out west over a couple years, but like i said i cant vouch for those people, i have no idea what they were doing with there guns before they got there.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Goodness, I am always so amazed how much sway TV has on guiding peoples lives.

It is just a warning man. You already know about it, great, but there are always many people that don't keep up with this stuff. CNBC is liberal sure, but 2 dozen deaths and 100 people getting shot is not the norm I would think for an accidental firing. I agree it was also the gun handlers fault for not always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction, loaded or not. If this posts helps someone avoid an accident, that is all it was supposed to do.

Goodness, If you have to bang on a rifle action with a rubber mallet to make sure the trigger is adjusted correctly and doesn't fire how sure can you be it is really safe and for how long?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
It is just a warning man. You already know about it, great, but there are always many people that don't keep up with this stuff. CNBC is liberal sure, but 2 dozen deaths and 100 people getting shot is not the norm I would think for an accidental firing. I agree it was also the gun handlers fault for not always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction, loaded or not. If this posts helps someone avoid an accident, that is all it was supposed to do.

Goodness, If you have to bang on a rifle action with a rubber mallet to make sure the trigger is adjusted correctly and doesn't fire how sure can you be it is really safe and for how long?
All gunsmiths or amateurs like myself should do this on all trigger work unless its like block like on a Marlin 336 or 1895 action.

Std operation.

I don't mind you posting the warning, I just don't like CNBC trying to destroy one of the last american gun makers.

So far, I have had two friends contact me all paniced because they own remington 700's and just watched this show. And thats crazy, that TV has such sway on someone's life.

I feel like I fight the TV in every front of my life. My wife comes to me one day and demands we throw out all our plastic cups because she heard on Dr. Phil they contain BPH. Or all the sudden, she's in a panic to get our water tested because she watched a show where a family got toxic water.

The freakin boob tube should not run folks life.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Two reasons:

(1) Liberal media is anti-gun, and if they don't have enough inaccurate and sesationalist anti-gun stories which are new, they will repeate and old one and try to make it look new

(2) There isn't much else going on right now, besides how much Obama&Co. are sucking, and the Lib media certainly won't cover that.

I understand that. Its a horrible emotional story that american families seem to eat up.

Why don't they do a story showing 5 folks that died in md for not wearing a safety strap in the stands? At least it would be recent. Oh yea, I know why, there is no big ole mean corporation behind it.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
All gunsmiths or amateurs like myself should do this on all trigger work unless its like block like on a Marlin 336 or 1895 action.

Std operation.

I don't mind you posting the warning, I just don't like CNBC trying to destroy one of the last american gun makers.

So far, I have had two friends contact me all paniced because they own remington 700's and just watched this show. And thats crazy, that TV has such sway on someone's life.

I feel like I fight the TV in every front of my life. My wife comes to me one day and demands we throw out all our plastic cups because she heard on Dr. Phil they contain BPH. Or all the sudden, she's in a panic to get our water tested because she watched a show where a family got toxic water.

The freakin boob tube should not run folks life.
Something I'd add to this. is the fact that guys shouldn't mess with anything they're not sure about, especially if it could become a safety issue. I can strip and clean all of my guns, but I don't think I'd feel good about modifying the trigger group on them. Personally I'd leave that to the smith.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.