HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Savage 220F first day & my biggest buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/335271-savage-220f-first-day-my-biggest-buck.html)

ol eagle eyes 11-29-2010 10:04 PM

Savage 220F first day & my biggest buck

3 Attachment(s)
Well it was opening day today, and I just recently sighted in my new Savage 20 gauge. With grouping at 100 yards that I couldnt fathom a shotgun could do, I was very eager to try this '20 gauge riffle' out. On morning watch I dumped a small doe at around 60-75 yards. I was pretty thrilled but still only a small deer. I hardly ever see the biggins. Infact the only real big one is the one in my avatar and thats not even a wall hanger by most standards. I was prepared with a whole weeks worth of supplies at hunting camp... hopefully I'd see a nice buck sometime during the week (never hunting the entire week before, usually just weekend).

Headed out for evening watch and half way to my treestand I hear that crunch crunch crunch of a deer trotting through. One partial glimpse of the rack through the brush and my gun was drawn and heart beating. It turned and was passing broadside about 60-70 yards. Problem is this is thick woods, with lots of brush. I had no shot! Lots of cuss words were going through my head! Finally it held up for just a second, and its body was centered in the V of a large tree. I could see the legs and in between but no head or tail. Good enough for me! Bang! He took off running and I couldnt tell if I hit him. Disappeared into the brush, no second shot possible. Waited a few minutes and headed over... we have blood! Followed it for 75-100 yards and found him. I hit him center-high. Dragging out by myself was no fun, I think my back is going to be stiff in the morning. Hard to say for sure but think he's 18 point. I finally got a nice one after 18 years of hunting! Hey wait a minute - 18 years and I get an 18 point! Anyhow I am super thrilled. He is non-typical, but I always wanted one of those crazy lookin' racks. Got to find a taxidermist tomorrow...

Patrick Eubanks 11-30-2010 01:59 AM

Man that is a super nice Buck. Great story and congratulations. Living here in NC im somewhat jealous.
Your avatar buck looks pretty good to me

gregrn43 11-30-2010 02:37 AM

Lord have mercy WHAT a buck. Buddy you shore got somethen to be proud of now. WOW

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-30-2010 03:43 AM

Holy Antlers Batman...Congrats!!!!!

Allen Denton 11-30-2010 03:51 AM

Awesome buck, Congrats!!!

Canuck33 11-30-2010 04:01 AM

Wow, congrats on a awesome buck!

7.62NATO 11-30-2010 04:18 AM

Yeah your back is going to be hurtin' in the morning! You gotta have something to pay for that monster! Wow, congrats!!! Very nice buck!!!

So, how quickly were you moving to your stand when you heard/spotted him. Do you remember how the wind was at that moment (were you upwind, downwind of him)?

ArmyBuckTX 11-30-2010 05:06 AM

Look at that thing! Definitely got your trophy buck there!

Ohboy 11-30-2010 05:11 AM

what a stud, defenitly a true trophy buck, congrats!

wvnimrod 11-30-2010 05:14 AM

NOW thats a wall hanger! Congrats on a great buck.