Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck shot vs. Deer Slugs

Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot is the only thing we can use also. No your limits and I have killed many deer with buckshot.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I carry a double barrel and fire both barrels at the same time - one with buckshot and one with a slug.

But that is only when I am hunting zombies.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
I carry a double barrel and fire both barrels at the same time - one with buckshot and one with a slug.

But that is only when I am hunting zombies.
haha I was about to give you some serious crap until i read the bottom part
Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Spike

my uncle told me back in the old days when he FIRST started hunting, he would carry his rifle on his back with the sling and then carry his shotgun with double ot buckshot and that way if he would jump a deer on the way to his stand or if it was a windy day and he decided to walk around he could shot them on the run, but now( 30 years later) he can shot them on the run and drop them most of the time with his rifle

me personally i have considered buying a 12g. getting an couple boxes of buckshot and carrying both like him so when it is a windy day( like it was last weekend lol) i can walk and have a chance at one on the run, i can shot them walking with my rifle but not running, but i have only been hunting by myself for 3 years now(only 16 yrs old)

Last edited by deerhunt3r94; 11-29-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Some counties here in Virginia are shotgun only and some of those also prohibit slugs. You have to use what you can. I've killed a buck with a shotgun and buckshot. It did the job nicely and I didn't spoil a bunch of meat. I prefer rifle, but my county, for instance is shotgun only.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike

thanks guys...I'm new to the sport and genuinely didn't know...now I do!!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

i perfer my rifle too, and we can hunt with every thing here in roanoke and bedford county and all the neighboring countys too, bow, muzzleloader, rifle, shotgun(slug and buckshot)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Talking now that it has finally come up...

Stonewall, have you ever recovered any of the zombies to determine which round does the most damage? The only 12ga I have has one barrel (I think my double 20 may be too puny for such matters) so I need to know which to rely upon. Thanks.

< hunt more zombies! ]

rw