Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Advise for Newbie - Ariel Photo help >

Advise for Newbie - Ariel Photo help

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advise for Newbie - Ariel Photo help

Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default Advise for Newbie - Ariel Photo help

This is my 2nd year hunting I'm 30yrs old. This land has been in my wifes family for generations. My father in law says 5+years ago they would go and it deer were running around non stop and they were always getting shots and all around them sounded like a war zone. Last 4 years have quiet, although we did get a buck and doe last year.

Here is my deal I'm in my second year and I have yet to get a deer. On my map I put little yellow dots where family members setup at and a red dot where I setup this year. White lines show valleys that run north and south and east and west. They are pretty steep drop offs, nothing bad enough that I can't walk up and down though. This year there were a lot of shots off to the far east, some to the north and west. Never too much action to the south. The big white circle represents a big hill on the land on the south side of the property.

I'm posting this pic because I understand you all can look at it and recommend top areas to sit.

some other pics of deer I've taken this year.

http://s89.photobucket.com/home/AquaZ26/index
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Spike

The road to the East on the north side of the tracks does no longer exist on the top north half of the property.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Spike

Is there or was there any thing planted in the fields? Looks like setting up on the edge of the woods/ field might pay off if there is any thing for the deer to eat.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Spike

The field to the south half of the road the West half was corn this year the east half was beans. On the north half the west field had wheat this year and currently has nothing in and the east field by me does have wheat planted in it now but its not very tall.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start buying Lotto tickets. That land to the East, North and thatNirth East are much better hunting grounds.I also see some type of cemetary to the South East is that a cemetary or a road going to the cemetary or is that circle the cemetary mound. Also how far are you from the road.I do see a scale but don't want to get you into serious trouble for leading you to no shooting areas or areas to close to the roads to hunt and shoot.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

You can make out the cemetery is kind of its own color. The circle shows where there is a big mound, but that is the south half of the property that is divided by the road, we don't hunt that side. There is a road that runs on the east up past the cemetery then turns west and divides the property in half. But that road that it is showing running up through the trees hasn't been there for years.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Spike

This pic is taken looking north at the lower right edge of the circle looking north.

Last edited by twcw5804; 11-28-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Spike

Do you see any sign? Have you given any thought to maybe using a game cam to see what's going on in different areas?
I still like the idea of setting up where the woods meet up with one of the fields if there is any sign. Looks like a good place to consider some food plots.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I would hunt that tip of tree line to the south and that bay directly to the west of where you hunt.Both are natural funnels into that one revine.That revine north of you In that one area that is east west looks like it hold some deer from that plot that is north of that.
Depending on wind direction and food that's planted it might be a good choice to set up..But I would concentrateon that tip to the south and that bay to the west of that one south spot you hunt.Yeah I personally would not plant myself between 2 ravines going north south in the middle of a forest.I'd be closer to edge of the treeline.
That's alot of noise your making walking in that far and walking through the middle many animals will scent you. Even if some don't
their whitetails waving will alert every deer in that area.Much better to set up where they are walking in and out especially now.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-28-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt back in the crop finger (back and to the right on the ground photo) (east side on the aerial photo). Especially afternoon hunts when they will be filtering out into the fields. my .02 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.