Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best slug gun?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Ithaca Deer slayer or the H&R.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love my H&R 20ga., also will be purchasing a Savage 220 soon, both topped with a Leupold VX_II 3-9x40
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the Ithaca Deerslayer 12 ga with a Leopold scope
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RyanVT
Hey guys. Ive been researching slug guns need a little help from my fellow hunters. Im looking for a slug gun for a trip to ohio next year and to use here in vermont for deer. My question is what to get? ive heard alot about the h and r but its single shot not sure about that. I'm more so looking for a dedicated slug gun. any help would be great! if you have a favorite scope for them to throw that info in to please.
Truth-be-told, you can probley action the H&R single as fast as you can the bolt. H&R makes many different models and some are just a beast, weighing in at over 9#, (not real sure but I think I looked at one that ran about 11#) if your looking at the Pardner series look to the 12ga, as it can be scoped much easier than the 20ga, and a heads up!!! the 12 will let you know you shot, I would look into a good recoil pad. there are a lot of good bolt actions on the market, if you have the extra money, find (good luck) a Browning A-Bolt, they are not made anymore, I don't think anyone would argue they are the best, but almost any of the name brand slug guns will serve you well, be it be Savage, Mossberg, etc, maybe more important is the "Slug" (and there are many) a good sabot be it Remington,winchester etc is a must, the days of $2.00 a box slugs are over expect to pay $4/5.00 per slug ($20.00) box, but well worth it. I'm with you on getting a dedicated slug gun!! a smart move, as to the scope, I like the fixed scope (2x) and something a lot of people overlook, a shotgun scope reacts different than a rifle scope, I can't go into the details, (to complicated) but I would look for a Shotgun scope! Good Luck Doc
Old 11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

Ohio in Deer Gun season sounds a little like a war zone at times. Lots of autoloaders. You used to be allowed slug guns that would hold up to five shells, but they now must be plugged at three. Also used to have to be a smooth barrel but now you are allowed a rifled barrel when using slugs. I used a Mossberg 500 for a few years and enjoyed it till I had a shoulder injury and needed something with less recoil. If you don't mind the added expense, let me throw in a plug for the Remington 1187 gas operated autoloader. I bought the first one I could find in the city of Dayton when they first came out and I've killed several Ohio deer with her. Added the "deerslayer" smooth bore barrel as soon as I could find one for the 1187. Shoots 2-3/4 amd 3" shells. I don't shoot it for grouping so I can't tell you what the pattern size is. I can tell you that standing, walking or at a dead run I've never squeezed that trigger with hair in sight and not brought home a deer.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Spike

By the way. I bought my youngest son and H&R single shot 20 ga. for his first deer gun. It was sized for a youth shooter with a rifled barrel. It was easy to sight and quick to reload. (and dead accurate) Now 18, he recently traded up to a Remington 870 express with a vent rib, rem choke barrel. We added the rifled deerslayer barrel for it also. He's yet to hunt with it but we're looking forward to that trip. In Ohio it's good to have a shotgun that can do double duty with a quick barrel change.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

I love my H&R 20! I shoot the Copper Solids with great results so far, but if I needed to reach out further than 125 yards, I would go with the Remington Accutip. If you have the money to burn, the Savage 220f is a really nice gun!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Wow guys thanks alot getting alot fo good info about these guns. Cant wait to go look at them all shoulder them and see what fits now that i got some back ground knowledge. any more info or opinions feel free to say them.