Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree Stand Scare

Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Summit. Has anyone ever leaned way to the side while sitting? I have found that on some trees, they will roll to the side and could possibly throw you. Happened to me when I was leaning over while pulling my bow up, as it caught onto a branch.

Last edited by MichaelH; 11-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MichaelH
I use a Summit. Has anyone ever leaned way to the side while sitting? I have found that on some trees, they will roll to the side and could possibly throw you. Happened to me when I was leaning over to while pulling my bow up, as it caught onto a branch.
Never had it do that before but I can see how it could happen in certain situations.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I have worn mine under my coat,but prefer to wear it over,in a fall with it under your coat you would have to open your coat to operate the controlled decent feature!
They fit very well and have changable cover that come in differant camo patterns as well as blaze orange!
I sent an email to Rescue One this afternoon asking if the harness could be worn underneath my hunting coat. Mr. Wood sent me a reply just a few minutes ago. He said you could do that(he said that he wears it like that sometimes) as long as you could get to the shoulder strap and you did not zip the coat up too far.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Impressive thread..thanks..I just bought my Christmas present..one of those 250.00 harnesses..for us big guys...

from Bass Pro about 10 minutes ago..will be here in 6 days.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

A couple years ago I was hunting from my tree stand and I'd gotten to the top of the tree. I noticed that my seat platform wasn't perfectly level, so I mad the mistake of trying to adjust the seat platform while standing up on the foot platform. One of the pins for the cable didn't have a lanyard and pulled out the pin and dropped it and the pin dropped down to the ground. So, I was attached to the tree from my body harness I wrapped my legs around the tree and dropped my stand down to the ground. I held on to the tree and loosened the lanyard and slowly slid down the tree.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
A couple years ago I was hunting from my tree stand and I'd gotten to the top of the tree. I noticed that my seat platform wasn't perfectly level, so I mad the mistake of trying to adjust the seat platform while standing up on the foot platform. One of the pins for the cable didn't have a lanyard and pulled out the pin and dropped it and the pin dropped down to the ground. So, I was attached to the tree from my body harness I wrapped my legs around the tree and dropped my stand down to the ground. I held on to the tree and loosened the lanyard and slowly slid down the tree.
That sucks!
I make an effort size up the tree, bark type, and make sure I don't do any 20ft high adjustments like that. I'd rather go down a few feet than release any pins.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I 've actually made both adjustments while in the tree,,seat and platform..I would never attempt the platform though again but I do the seat often..there are no pins..If anyone has a SUmmit you would certainly agree that the upper part can be easily adjusted while in the tree..
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I 've actually made both adjustments while in the tree,,seat and platform..I would never attempt the platform though again but I do the seat often..there are no pins..If anyone has a SUmmit you would certainly agree that the upper part can be easily adjusted while in the tree..
Upper platform no problem....tried the foot platform but decided it was too risky.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:25 AM
CJ1
Spike

I have a summit switchblade and love it I feel safer in it than I do in my ladder stand. Upper section is easy to adjust but the lower part not so much. Is just safer to over angle before you start climbing. Also I make sure my tether is tight when I sit that way if I lose the bottom I do not drop below the hoop of the top section and can get my but back in the seat. I use a 30ft climbing rope cinched to the tree that way it quickly loosens and tightens as I go up and down the tree. In the event of a fall you can grab the line the is dangling and tie a loop in it to use as foot hold to take pressure of the harness and prevent blood pooling.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on which stand you have. I have the generic comfort zone whatever sold at Dicks.
Remove the pin, and the tree cable swings around the tree. I overall feel save in the stand, but had it slip do to hard/slick bark, wet, or frozen conditions.
Size up the tree, bark, and weather conditions to be A-OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.