Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Relatively Old But New Hunter

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Spike

If you're looking for some good info on how to scout and when to scout you should look up these videos from John Eberhart. Hes a Michigan hunter that hunts stateland and has taken some really nice bucks! Im from michigan and hunting stateland here can be crazy during gun season. Anyway if you want his web site it is deerjohn.com I've got the videos and his books and I learned a lot. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by ButchA
Also, your .30-30 is perfect for the heavy woods of the GWNF. I wouldn't put a scope on it though... Lever guns just don't look good with a scope on them. But that's just my opinion...

:
Ah c'mon Butch, I think my squirrel rifle looks good with a scope.

Makes longer shots easier too.

Okay, thread jack over. /
Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster
Yep, make a hobby of game scouting. Often times thing noticed during spring turkey hunting can pay dividends come fall and the deer season. If you know the animals habits and where he likes to travel, it makes finding him during the season much easier. It's not a guarantee or anything, but it gives you a leg up.
Good point. For me it seems like I see way more deer in the spring turkey season than in the fall, adn vice versa. Almost like they know they are bieng hunted.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by doall hunter
Good point. For me it seems like I see way more deer in the spring turkey season than in the fall, adn vice versa. Almost like they know they are bieng hunted.
I'm not so sure they don't.

I've seen more turkeys this past week or so than I usually see during the spring or fall turkey season's. Of course I've been in the timber more than usual looking for squirrels and right now everything is in the timber cleaning up the fallen mast.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Spike

OneFederalist,

I got you beat... I didn't start hunting until I was 40 years old. I have always loved the outdoors and wanted to get into hunting, but back in the day, I was busy with a career in the US Coast Guard and couldn't always settle down somewhere and go hunting.
Know what you mean. Did some Navy time myself. Not retired...just did my 4 and nothing more. Still, been on the go since leaving and have finally hit a "settle" point.

Anyway, since I retired and moved to Virginia, I got into hunting and have learned a lot since then. Most importantly I learned what to do, and what NOT to do.

I'd stay in the Blue Ridge Mts of Virginia and hunt out there. East of the Blue Ridge they run hound dogs after deer. Some localities (county ordnances) won't let you shoot your 30-30 rifle. You'd have to buy a shotgun and use that instead.
Roger that. I'm actually in Greene County (north of Cville), and kinda know what you mean. Seems there's 3 dogs a citizen around here, so I could see how what you're saying is probably the case. I was thinking GW Forest. Parts of there, esp. the Buena Vista area, are my old camping stomping grounds. Probably will take a drive down there to put in some time. As for Greene, I like it so far. Seems the gubmint and fellow Greenies mine their own business when it comes to guns, so no issues. You're the first I heard about 30-30 being illegal to shoot in some locales though. Wonder why? I likes my lever action.

Try to find a deer club, private land, get into a lease, etc... it will be a lot better. You'd be far better off staying away from the public land WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas). They are loaded with so many hunters that it almost becomes scary. I mean, there is so much blaze orange, that when the sun comes up it looks like a dang pumpkin patch!
Heh. Yeah, that's pretty much we're I've hit actually (Rapidan WMA Mid River Tract). Saw a couple other hunters but that was all, so maybe got lucky or came too late. But you're not the first I've heard that from.

I'd stick with the George Washington Nat'l Forest and hunt out there. That's what I do and it is so spread out, you'll hardly ever bump into another hunter, if you play your cards right.
Yep, will do.

Also, your .30-30 is perfect for the heavy woods of the GWNF. I wouldn't put a scope on it though... Lever guns just don't look good with a scope on them. But that's just my opinion...

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster
Ah c'mon Butch, I think my squirrel rifle looks good with a scope.

Makes longer shots easier too.

Okay, thread jack over. /
Good ol' Marlin with a scope. I think their right purtty myself.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dennismeyers333
If you're looking for some good info on how to scout and when to scout you should look up these videos from John Eberhart. Hes a Michigan hunter that hunts stateland and has taken some really nice bucks! Im from michigan and hunting stateland here can be crazy during gun season. Anyway if you want his web site it is deerjohn.com I've got the videos and his books and I learned a lot. Good luck!
Dennis, thanks for the tip. Haven't heard of him, but a quick Google search and I see he's got a bunch of vids. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doall hunter
They know.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/d/deer_season.asp

Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OneFederalist
Good ol' Marlin with a scope. I think their right purtty myself.
Thanks. It's a good ol 39a, my favorite .22 rifle.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have two Marlin centerfire lever actions. Nice rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.