Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Nikkon Prostaff scope dial question. Help! >

Nikkon Prostaff scope dial question. Help!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nikkon Prostaff scope dial question. Help!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nikkon Prostaff scope dial question. Help!

So I purchased a new Nikkon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 for my muzzleloader which is the same one as I have on my .270. After trying to site this muzzleloader in I finally quite and took it back to Cabelas. They bore sighted the scope and it showed I was off which I knew, however the thing I did not know was that the guy told me you have to follow your miss on these dials. So if I was missing up I turned the dial up and shooting left move dial in left direction, etc, etc. I do not ever remember sighting in a scope that was like this?
I guess I don't mind if it works but I just always assumed if your shooting high you move the dial in the down direction?? Feel like an idiot as I'm no rookie to hunting but I just don't sight many new scopes in very often. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! Go Huskers!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds a little backwards to me...I wonder if the wrong stamps got put on the dials? Oh well. You know the secret now so it shouldn't matter.

rw
Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the scopes I have shot it is you shoot a group then move the crosshairs to the holes. I just bought one of thses scopes and its backwards. Now i shoot a group and move the group to the bullseye of the target.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is telling you some BS. I have a Prostaff, and it doesn't work like that. If you turn the dial left, the bullet impact moves left. If you are shooting left, you'd want to turn the dial right to move the bullet impact right. It works just like most scopes do. Unless you got a defective one, yours should be like this too.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Spike

The guy was partly right. I just think you were both talking about different things. If you're aiming at the bullseye, and you shoot a group 6" to the right, then you technically do "follow the miss". That is, if you were looking through the scope and having someone else turn the dials you would start with the crosshairs in the middle and move them until they covered your group. Your friend would be turning the dial to move the point of impact to the left but you would be seeing the crosshairs move to the right. That would theoretically put the new point of impact over the bull. If you're turning the dials yourself then you would turn the dials to move the point of impact rather than follow the miss.