Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A difficult situation

Old 11-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default A difficult situation

ok, say you and a friend are sitting on the ground side by side against a large tree. All of a sudden you hear leaves crunching behind you, so you turn to look and its a big buck. But the buck sees you turning and stops dead in its tracks.

Now say you already have your buck tag filled, but your friend doesnt. Hes out trying for a buck and you are trying for a doe.

The problem is that your friend cannot see the buck, and the only way he could see it is to get on his knees and turn around. But if he does this, that buck would probably high tail it the other direction.

Now youre already in position that you know would be an easy shot.

My question is: Couldnt you aim at the buck with your gun, and tell your friend to reach over and pull the trigger?

After all, Ive heard that the person who pulls the trigger is the killer.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, you should never take a shot unless you know and can see what you're shooting. Know your back stop. Just doesn't sound too safe to me and besides that, there's very little chance that your friend is going to make a clean kill on a crazy shot like that. DON'T DO IT!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a really bad idea. Sounds like this is not a hypothetical situation, so what did y'all actually do?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

To me it seems you gave the option of two bad choices. Take an unsafe shot or do something unethical. That being shoot the deer and have your friend tag it as your own. Both of which are bad choices. If the deer sees you does not necessarily mean you are busted. Stay very still he may stick around or move in your friends shooting lane. Or he may just wander off because he doesn't like what he sees. He'll be back. My friend was scouting one morning and came accross a buck which saw him but didn't wind him. He has seen it a couple of times in the area since.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Spike

Not sure of your state's regulations, but in Wisconsin you could tag it with your hunting buddies tag. If he's already agreed to do it and your are within shouting distance of each other, it's perfectly legal for you to use his tag.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

That would be against regulations in Missouri, and just a bad idea in general. Why not just wait on the next one to come along?
Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

If your friend is steering and you're pushing the gas, who's guilty of drunk driving??
Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what does your friend get out of a hunt like that? Has no idea what or where he is shooting. Just a take your word for it. Is he going to mount it and tell everyone "seriously I didn't see him coming or did I see where I was shooting him. But I got him." I guess if thats the way you guys do it. Maybe a better way to do it is hit one with a truck and let him come over and give it the final shot.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

This didnt happen to me. I heard some guys talking about it in town the other day and I wanted to see what you all thought about it.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

dont sound very ethical to me.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.