Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I was a retard yesterday

Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Why would you waste the meat of course the guts are going to stink.

I take it you just wanted those antlers,good luck eating them they are hard on the teeth.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 11-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does deer stink after one night in 30 degree temps overnight? There are a few lessons to be learned here and I'm not going to mention the quartering towards you shot, patience dude. Its only through trial and mistakes that make us more seasoned than last year.

Bobby
Old 11-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Typical Buck

Hey BA, its not about the horns at all. I had plenty of help there to drag the deer.

So here is where I can learn something mabey, i will set the stage. You find your deer 24 hours after you shot it. Do you still gut it even though it smells terrible and drag it out? Do you take the chance?

Now I have lost a deer before but I never found one after this long and I wasn't taking a chance on it, but let me know if you guys would have just ignored the smell.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gutshot after 24 hrs, I am probably tagging and leaving.
Gag reflex would not allow too much handling.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

with 30 degree temps absolutely,I have seen meat hang for 3-4 days in 40 degree temps with nothing but ice in the chest,I am sure you have had far worse off the store shelf you just don't know it.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Gutshot after 24 hrs, I am probably tagging and leaving.
Gag reflex would not allow too much handling.
Sounds like you may want to start carrying a video cam and leavin the gun or bow at home.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Next time you are suspicious about the meat being spoiled dont even cut into the guts make you a cut in the hind quarter and smell the meat.The guts are always going to stink they will stink even 10 minutes after a kill.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was on your side up until the gutting the deer thing. You already realized you made a mistake by the shot and the track job. Stuff happens. Live, learn and move on.

But..... what are you talking about gutting it 24 hours later? You're not going to because it's going to smell? Or you're worried about the meat? (which was fine by the way) 30 degrees and 24 hours? I intentionally let mine hang that long or longer. But if it was simply because you thought the gut job would be extra stinky than that's just wrong.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Spike

Deer stinks period.

Everything smells like deer to me for days after I process one.

It's normal bud, toughen up.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Hey BA, its not about the horns at all. I had plenty of help there to drag the deer.

So here is where I can learn something mabey, i will set the stage. You find your deer 24 hours after you shot it. Do you still gut it even though it smells terrible and drag it out? Do you take the chance?

Now I have lost a deer before but I never found one after this long and I wasn't taking a chance on it, but let me know if you guys would have just ignored the smell.
WNY, I'm sure that after 24 hours those scrambled guts did smell bad, they didn't smell good to begin with. But as cool as the temps were, the meat would be fine. I'd of just gutted it, hanged it up for a day and then taken it to the locker or cut it up yourself if that's your method.

24 hours in 30 degree weather is a pretty short time span.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.