Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I was a retard yesterday

Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default I was a retard yesterday

Well yesterday I shot a buck quarting to me at 40 yards. He took off having problems. I got down went to where he was and find blood and hair. My buddy makes his way to me and I look a little further. CORN????? oh no, but man there was alot of blood. pools of it in someplaces. I started tracking him ~ 30 minutes after the hit, picking my way through and bumped him at about 100 yards. At that point I am so pissed at myself for not coming back later, but all that blood... It was at 10am yesterday and at 1pm we ran out of blood. I am going to that property owners this morning and see if I can find him.

Now, i am pretty picky about the meat, if I find him is there anyway he can still be good? Its been 30 deg. all night.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

yeah its still good I promise. :P
Old 11-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

at that temp you will be fine. even longer with it that cold
Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

You mean if you find him. When you bumped him at 10:00 you should have backed out and gone back the next morning. You pushed him past 1:00, three more hours, ran out of blood and finally stopped, not good.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

yea huge mistake
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

when you take a risky shot like that...even with a gun its always worth it to wait the extra hour or two even if you "think" youve heard a crash. Then once you find blood and jump him... back out immediately and wait til morning.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

Yeah he's still good.

Hell,we hang our deer up in the garage when we get home and let them hang until the next day.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

well I did find him this morning around 10:30. I guess the rain forced me into a bad choice yesterday but in hindsight I would have been ok to back out. I know better, just the exitement of seeing my first deer this gun season, all the blood, the rain. Sometimes you have to force yourself to make the right decision, which I didn't. Anyways, the shot wasn't as bad as first thought and I am sure he was dead while we were tracking him. He was about 50 yards from where we left yesterday. To everyone that helped today it was agreed on that he STUNK bad. So I cut his head off, tagged him and donated his body to nature. pretty bummed about that. Well here is a picture and I am glad I found him anyways.
Attached Thumbnails I was a retard yesterday-steves-buck.jpg   I was a retard yesterday-horns.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

They age meat at 40 degrees for 1 week.
It was probably fine.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

It must be nice for all those giving advice to live in an area free of predators where you can shoot a deer, leave it, get a good night's sleep, and go find in the morning after a nice breakfast.

You do that in northern/UP Michigan and you'll maybe find a head and some leg bones the next morning. Coyotes and wolves get on these things here in upper Michigan almost immediately.

I shot a doe during bow season at dark. Went back the next morning and found a head and a skeleton. The rib bones even had all been bitten off at the base of the spine.

Shot another one about a week later...got my buddy and his lantern and got on it this time 90 minutes later. Found it--but even then the butt had been chewed out of it already.

I laugh my ass off at those shows where they waltz into some game ranch, shoot a deer at dark, go back to the lodge for drinks and steaks and meander back in the morning to find the deer just lying there all peaceful for them.

That's a nice Disney-like flick where I hunt.

Sounds like you found the deer whole, though. You wouldn't have gotten away with that where I hunt.

Last edited by Michlw39; 11-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.