Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where you hunt?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where you hunt?

I was just wondering what kind of land most people are hunting on these days? Private Land/Farms? WManagement Areas/Public Land?
Hunting Leases? and How much acre'age are you hunting? I keep seeing these huge bucks on cams and bucks that have been killed daily. I wanna know what your hunting? Big Woods? Plots? Scrapes? Rub Lines? Funnels? Bait? Someone Help me!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

This year I'm only hunting our family farm which is 140 acres (50 woods and 90 fields). I have several small food plots scattered around. I hunt the food plots early season and hunt pinch points this time of year. Will switch back to food towards the end of December.

I normally hunt our lease in IL but I'm not going over there this year. I usually hunt public land in MO and IL as well.

I'll get back into the swing next year and hit all three.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

i also hunt family land ..I live in town so its the only place i have for now.It's not alot of land but there isnt anyone hunting around me for about 2mi.its a funnel from a field with a patch of woods and a small creek through it.It hasnt let me down yet!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt both, public and private.
Would say about 90% public lands in pa and NY.
Only about 10% of my hunting is on my own land
Old 11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt 100% private.
I don't hunt public land here,it is over run during hunting season!
I am lucky to have 210 acres of family farm land, and permission to hunt two other farms as well!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Ya I used to hunt a lease growing up and it had alot of pressure around it so we could never get big bucks because the people around us were not on the same management plans as us. They were shooting anything and everything that walked! Ehh, and Only being 400 acres and a weird shape it was bordering alot of Cattle fields with shooting houses in the middle shooting every day. On numerous occasions I would let a small 6 or 8 walk and a few minutes later here a shot right on top of me. I would walk to the fence line and the Ole boy would be dragging the buck I just passed behind the 4 wheeler.....Now, On my private land behind my house Its in a Urban are that backs up to probally 150 acres. There are does all back in there and small bucks here and there. The biggest one I Got on my trail cam last year was a 6 point and he was probally only 13 inches wide. What can I do about this? I think the Genetics are horrible back there. .....

On my other time I hunt some Public land that has alot of pressure. There is alot of planted pines that are very very very over grown and thick! and Alot of swamp on the other half. there aint very many plots but where there is, there is thick cover around just hard to get back in there. What would yall do for all these places. Need help
Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dpj1030
Ya I used to hunt a lease growing up and it had alot of pressure around it so we could never get big bucks because the people around us were not on the same management plans as us. They were shooting anything and everything that walked! Ehh, and Only being 400 acres and a weird shape it was bordering alot of Cattle fields with shooting houses in the middle shooting every day. On numerous occasions I would let a small 6 or 8 walk and a few minutes later here a shot right on top of me. I would walk to the fence line and the Ole boy would be dragging the buck I just passed behind the 4 wheeler.....Now, On my private land behind my house Its in a Urban are that backs up to probally 150 acres. There are does all back in there and small bucks here and there. The biggest one I Got on my trail cam last year was a 6 point and he was probally only 13 inches wide. What can I do about this? I think the Genetics are horrible back there. .....

On my other time I hunt some Public land that has alot of pressure. There is alot of planted pines that are very very very over grown and thick! and Alot of swamp on the other half. there aint very many plots but where there is, there is thick cover around just hard to get back in there. What would yall do for all these places. Need help
Sounds like you have the right idea,to get great bucks you have to pass up good ones!
I'd think about some doe management for one,and if you have room a good food plot,food is king,if your state allows feeding use a good quality feed like Big and J industries something with a lot of protien in it will help grow bigger deer!
If you can do both,you may even pull deer in from surrounding areas!
Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt private, one place is 130 acres, another is 63 acres surrounded bigger tracts of woodlands. I have one small 10 acre spot I hunt with the bow only as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt on my land or my neigbors land. Combined its probably well over 300 acres. Today I'm goint to hunt the foodplot about 350 yards from my back door has been where the monster bucks have been chasing doe and other than that I like to hunt a funnel that's bordering an old landfill that got shutdown and is off limits to anyone. It only has a couple of ways for the deer to get out. My stand is facing towards a small 5ft gap they left in the back towards my land and we have another food plot about 100 yards to the left of that stand.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt my family's farm which is 110 acres and a family friend has a farm that is about 150 acres(2 other guys hunt this as well).

I also am a member in a hunting lease that has 1,166 acres and 15 members. Of those 15 only about 8 bowhunt and there are 2 or 3 that only hunt weekends and around Thanksgiving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.