HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The "Shoulder Shot" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334915-shoulder-shot.html)

DocD 11-24-2010 05:30 AM

The "Shoulder Shot"

QUOTE=rab123;3727978]get some heavily constructed bullets and put a high shoulder shot on them.should drop em on the spot.is the no hunting public land next to his blind open for walking or mushroom hunting?if it is,let the cpo know you are going there to walk or photograph.just get there early to make sure he is in his blind.i beleive in live and let live,but i also beleive in payback.[/QUOTE]

seen this on the tread "pisses me off"

I have been hunting for close to 60yrs, and could never understand the "shoulder shot" many people are taught this, I have seen so many deer "shoulder shot" and then tracked all day and in many cases never recovered, I for one think it is about the worst shot a person can take, JMOP Doc

gbrownlee 11-24-2010 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by DocD (Post 3728013)
QUOTE=rab123;3727978]get some heavily constructed bullets and put a high shoulder shot on them.should drop em on the spot.is the no hunting public land next to his blind open for walking or mushroom hunting?if it is,let the cpo know you are going there to walk or photograph.just get there early to make sure he is in his blind.i beleive in live and let live,but i also beleive in payback.

seen this on the tread "pisses me off"

I have been hunting for close to 60yrs, and could never understand the "shoulder shot" many people are taught this, I have seen so many deer "shoulder shot" and then tracked all day and in many cases never recovered, I for one think it is about the worst shot a person can take, JMOP Doc[/QUOTE]

Doc,

I would have to disagree to some extent. I always go for a traditional behind the shoulder shot, but my dad has mastered this shoulder shot IMO. He shot his past 5 deer this way and all of them dropped on the spot, including one that I witnessed on a hunt in Kansas. I am not completely comfortable doing it due to the possibility of an error on my part, but if done correctly it is extremely effective.

bigcountry 11-24-2010 07:15 AM

Doesn't tick me off. Its dead on. Espeically a quartering too shot. Only times I have had to track is when shot with a 30-30. I hate a 30-30.

If you had to track a high shoulder shot, you missed the right place.

Bocajnala 11-24-2010 07:50 AM

I always try and slip it in right behind the shoulder. My grandpa swears by his neck shots. He's been shooting deer for 70 years now and every deer he's shot in my memory has been in the neck. He's used a .30-40 Krag, .30-06, .30-30, and .44 mag. His deer always drop, and he's said he's only ever lost one. So I guess that shot works well for him. I've never tried it, just because my chest shots work well for me. But he took my sister out this past year and told her where to aim. She shot two doe, both right in the neck. And both dropped where they stood.
-Jake

Valentine 11-24-2010 08:10 AM

Some things are just too hard

to understand. Anyone who perfected the one shot; immediate knockdown, knows. It never mattered to them how many people didn't know.

You fellas, keep tracking, here.

DougE 11-24-2010 09:28 AM

A high shoulder shot is nothing more than a spine shot.

skb2706 11-24-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DocD (Post 3728013)
I have been hunting for close to 60yrs, and could never understand the "shoulder shot" many people are taught this, I have seen so many deer "shoulder shot" and then tracked all day and in many cases never recovered, I for one think it is about the worst shot a person can take, JMOP Doc

If ya never recovered them how do you know where they were hit ?

A high shoulder spine shot will take down nearly anything instantly. But hey its my opinion based on a bit of hunting myself.

cal516 11-24-2010 10:14 AM

All the deer that I have hit directly in the shoulder went down where they stood. A deer hit just behind the shoulder I have had to track for about 50 yards. The main problem I saw with the should is it's pretty much gone.

dpj1030 11-24-2010 11:42 AM

If your trying to save meat, Behind the SHOULDER, If you don't mind tearing up the Shoulders a little bit, Right on the SHOULDER, my uncle taught me this one and I had to disagree. However a few days later I tryed it on a big doe at 260 yrds. n she dropped on the spot with my .270

DocD 11-24-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DougE (Post 3728142)
A high shoulder shot is nothing more than a spine shot.

I agree, and a tough shot it is, but a hit in the spine (as others have said) will drop just about anything, but the topic was "SHOULDER SHOT" and anyone that would opt for a shoulder shot rather than Heart/lung hasn't spent a lot of time hunting, Doc