Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The "Shoulder Shot"

Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Nope its not, the high shoulder shot does hit the spine, center of the shoulder doesn't, why do we take this shot? with any given bullet the animal absorbs more energy when the scapula (shoulder blade) is hit, it is the point of most resistance, this is why you have more DRT hits.behind the shoulder the bullet acts like an icepick, pokes a hole through with minmal expansion, and they bleed out.center shoulder hits like a sledge hammer, then penetrates, as everything compresses before penatration, you have shockwave going through the body in all directions away from the POI, and wonderful stuff happens, like the blood is forced the wrong way through the major blood vessels and if that doesn't ruin they're day a massive shockwave follows the CNS to the brainstem, causing the brain to immediately shut all systems down. deer will survive a spine shot, paralized but still alive, done right they are DRT with a center shoulder shotRR
The spine runs right between the shoulder blades.Deer drop on the spot from a high shoulder shot through the shoulder blades because the spine is taken out.A lower shot through the shoulders is a double lung or heart shot but there's only ribs to go through,no heavy bone.On a broadside shot,there are no heavy bones that you have to go through to hit the vitals.The heavy shoulder bone runs very low,below the chest cavity and in front of the chest cavity.If you hit them on a broadside shot,you missed the vitals.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
The spine runs right between the shoulder blades.Deer drop on the spot from a high shoulder shot through the shoulder blades because the spine is taken out.A lower shot through the shoulders is a double lung or heart shot but there's only ribs to go through,no heavy bone.On a broadside shot,there are no heavy bones that you have to go through to hit the vitals.The heavy shoulder bone runs very low,below the chest cavity and in front of the chest cavity.If you hit them on a broadside shot,you missed the vitals.
Very interesting, it is nice to see some shooters responding, To me the "High Shoulder" "Spine Shot" is nothing more than a "lucky miss"
I for one think Shot placement is an important part of hunting. Doc
Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

It runs right between the top of the shoulder blades, where the bone is soft, I've shot at least 3 deer there that were still alive when it was over, drop down 4" and you'll see what I'm talking about.You hit center shoulder on a deer and bone and bullet fragments take out the lungs and heart, you don't miss the vitals. disecting somewhere around 200 deer have taught me this. I stand by my previous post.RR
And that to me is the problem with the "Shoulder Shot" the shoulder bone, all things considered the shoulder bone is a tough nut to crack
and that can result in a run-away deer, now, drop a couple inches and behind the shoulder, ya can almost count on venison, Doc
Old 11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Doc, not saying its for everyone, and with some rifles it should be avoided, but it works and works well. There pretty often comes times in my hunting adventures when its very advantageous if the deer never makes another step, like the time on North Mountain when I killed a good buck, I was allready 1.6 miles in, was gonna be a long day for sure, if I would have taken a lung shot and the buck made it 100 yards downhill before expiring it would have been a long night also. a 140 BT through the onside shoulder at 3500 fps solved the dilemma. and on my long range hunts, if you shoot a deer in the timber at beyond 500 yards, its hard enough to locate them even when you see them fall in the scope. recovery is made simpler. if ya don't like it dont use it, but why grumble about those who fully understand its effectiveness.RR
I hear ya!!! and if it works "Why fix it" were all different (and that is a good thing) You make some good points, I guess I have just been lucky the other way, like I said in a earlier post some of the guys I hunt with swear by it,, we get into some good (heated) discussions about it (and were still hunting together). I sometimes think we get so used to doing things our own way we can't change, but Hay!!! wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all agreed, Good Hunting to ya Doc
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the stuipidist place to shoot them.The stupidist place to shoot is to have your bullet or arrow hit the hit area you weren't aiming for in (or intending to hit) in the first place.A behind the shoulder aim has resulted in as many wounded animals hit and lost as any other vital or non vital organ shot a hunter has taken aim on.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I too shoot 'em right behind the shoulder but never had them fall on the spot.They never went to far and I always recovered the deer.
When you say "a high shoulder shot" exactly where are you aiming? Do you have a mininium caliber you recommend ?
I wouldn't worry so much about minimum caliber as long as you are shooting good bullets. minimum caliber being 243 or better.

If you want an animal to fall right where it's standing, aim 4" below the back line, in direct line with the front leg. (on a broadside deer) they will drop right where they are standing.

If you shoot high, you hit spine, if you shoot a little left, you hit lungs. if you shoot a little right, you still will probably hit lungs. Contrary to popular belief, the lungs are between the shoulders, not behind them. (if the deer has one leg forward, then yes the lungs may be a bit behind the shoulder)The shoulders protect the vitals. If you shoot low you will hit the heart.

As far as "meat" loss goes, I have scraped many a shoulder blade for the pittance amount of meat and it's not worth the time.

On public land, you best make your deer DRT, lest you have to arm wrestle someone for it.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

This is 2010 the modern internet age. There's no reason for this amount of ignorance.

http://www.rubsnscrapes.com/Articles...nt_anatomy.php

There's a beginning to start from. Edumacion gott muh a dear. hehe
Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is an image of a deer . where is everyone aiming ?
everything around the shoulder looks fatal
Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad taught me "one in the shoulders...done deal", works every time, at least in my experiences. There's no meat in the shoulders anyway.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default neck shot

wow, cant believe how many of you are just so nonchalant about wasting so much meat.i say hell na to a shoulder shot..whats wrong with a couple inches back ..behind the shoulder...get the double lunger..
personally i like the neck shot, especially when they are looking right at you.
to each there own i guess.