HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Lessons you had to learn the hard way. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334879-lessons-you-had-learn-hard-way.html)

Chuck7 11-23-2010 03:38 PM

Lessons you had to learn the hard way.

Here's some valuable lessons I've learned ..and they were learned the hard way. Nevertheless,,,I 've learned them and have not repeated the mistake again.LOL

1. Make sure your climber is attached top to bottom with a rope

2. Carry 2 flashlights and extra batteries..a mile deep in a gator filled swamp without a light is not fun

3.Make sure you got your tree rope that hold you to the tree with ya.

4.When getting ready to climb the tree..don't lay your bow to close to the tree..you may step on the string...and knock it off the pullies..} -;

5. Make sure of your tacks and don't stray off the path by following another 's trail tacks..you may need to double tack once in a while

6.Carry an extra truck key and hide it on your truck

7.Make sure your license is not expired.

8.Make sure your buck has long enough antlers.

9.Don't assume another's wooden stand is not rotted. ]-; that one hurt

10.Make sure the correct choke is in the shotgun ..that was a new one.LOL

11.Carry a compass...no matter how well you think you know the 50,000 acre WMA

12.Don't share any information unless you want that person to hunt in your area...good responce.."Didn't see jack man..how bout you?"

Please feel free to add to the list..

30-06 deerslayer 11-23-2010 06:10 PM

1. patience is worth it's weight in gold.

2.I only get out of it what I put in to it. you can't be lucky all the time.

3.I try to be moble the deer will not always come to where I want them to just because I think the spot or tree I picked should produce a sure kill.

4.scouting is more important then the set up itself. I now own 4 trail camera's.

5.a fair weather hunter will get to be out and enjoy a nice day in the woods.a dedicated hunter will not only enjoy being out no matter what the weather is but. also bring home the bacon.

6.l try not to hide my mistakes but, learn from them.

7.I set everything out the day before I decide to hunt as if my mother was making sure I had everthing I needed before going to school.I am old now and the mind has a hard time keeping up.

8. I now set goals or limits but I am satisfied if I don't reach them everytime. I guess being older comes in to play on that one.

nchawkeye 11-23-2010 06:21 PM

Check your zero every season and after every miss or bad hit with the ammo you plan to use...

Shoot your bow from you tree stand, with full hunting gear on and with the broadheads you will hunt with...

You can not beat a deer's nose, forget the fancy scent absorbing products, learn where the deer will come from and hunt the wind...

In addition to 2 flashlights and extra batteries, take a clip on flasher type light...When you kill a deer in the evening, clip on a limb over your deer so you and your buddies can find it in the dark...

Cheap scopes are just that and will cost you a deer...I'd rather hunt with a cheap rifle than a cheap scope...

Michlw39 11-23-2010 07:19 PM

Always carry extra batteries for the GPS--and always carry a conventional compass on top of that as a backup!

If I'm hunting some place new, I always will have studied an aerial map first and know where landmarks/civilization are along the traditional NSEW compass points.

I never rely on only electronics when it comes to life and (possibly) death situations. Someday that cheap manual compass just might save my life when my very expensive GPS unit decides to flake out.

I also learned the value of using a lantern this year to track after dark. Not saying you should lug it around in the woods with you...but have it in your truck or some place close.

VAhuntr 11-24-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3727844)
Check your zero every season and after every miss or bad hit with the ammo you plan to use...

Shoot your bow from you tree stand, with full hunting gear on and with the broadheads you will hunt with...

You can not beat a deer's nose, forget the fancy scent absorbing products, learn where the deer will come from and hunt the wind...

In addition to 2 flashlights and extra batteries, take a clip on flasher type light...When you kill a deer in the evening, clip on a limb over your deer so you and your buddies can find it in the dark...

Cheap scopes are just that and will cost you a deer...I'd rather hunt with a cheap rifle than a cheap scope...

Excellent tips! I especially like the idea of the clip on flashing light. That item will be in my pack for next season!

Have a plan to get out of a tree if your stand completely fails and your are left hanging by your harness. If are not familiar with "suspension trauma", read up on it.

UPHunter08 11-24-2010 04:58 AM

There is a big difference between shooting and hunting. Are you a shooter or a hunter? ;)

It took me years to figure this one out, as most of the guys in my family that 'hunted' merely set up box blinds each year and played the baiting game. When I actually started hunting (ie. go where the deer are, rather than trying to bait them to you), I finally started seeing nice bucks.

Practice, practice, practice. If you haven't practiced a particular shot (e.g. 300 yards with a rifle, 40 yards with a bow), don't take that shot for the first time on a live animal. It's unethical if you have no idea if you can make that shot.

M92 11-24-2010 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3727844)

+1 on that.

lovethebigguns 11-24-2010 05:06 AM

Great stuff guys! UPhunter, you are absolutely right. I know some folks that do the the same thing. They sit in the same damn stand every year no matter what!

A couple tips I learned the hard way...

*Don't keep your scope cranked all the way up on the highest power while in the stand.

*Don't underestimate the importance of aiming closer to the back of the rib cage with your bow on a harsh quarter away shot.

*Don't put estrus scents out too early. If you scare the does off and they blow, stomp and flag when they take off, you'll play hell getting daddy to come in to you for a bit...and momma will remember that when she thinks about coming back down that path.

Very nice thread. Thanks!

skb2706 11-24-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by M92 (Post 3727992)
+1 on that.

+1 fine piece of advise. Don't be afraid to put a good scope on a cheap rifle.

1. Never offer to help your buddy gut his deer if you know he shot it thru the guts.

2. Never try to skin a deer with two guys both operating knives.

3. Never lay down in a sand burr patch to make a long shot.

4. Never sneak up on your deer from 2 miles away only to make a little too much noise 10 yards from where you think you want to take your shot.

M92 11-24-2010 09:29 AM

1. Watch where you cut, and have a light on it, even if you already have good light. I cut my hand on a piece of broadhead that had been in the deer for a good while cause I wasnt watching what I was doing.