HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   woods bucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334872-woods-bucks.html)

nysmoker 11-23-2010 02:14 PM

woods bucks

I have hunted for many years here in western NY. The area im hunting is a small piece 27 acres and surrounding pieces of small property totaling a hundred acres and probably 13-15 hunters .I shot a decent woods buck for my area roughly 125" buck ...3.5 years old nice heavy body .Nearest grain crops is probably 2 miles from where i killed my buck . I am pretty dang happy .Monday morning coffee brake I am showing some guys the pics and this punk kid walks up and blows us all away with a 150 inch buck killed on his lease property .God bless him .... lucky little snot ..Then proceeds to tell us all how great a hunter he is two nice bucks this year . After he leaves we get to talking and find out he and his father and a few friends lease 1500 acres of prime wood lots... river bottoms ,and farm lands.Total hunting is 5 hunters to /1500 acres.They have 5 food plots totaling 50 acres and another couple hundred acres in corn .2 of the guys are local cops and make a habit of patroling for poachers . Ideal circumstances if i have ever heard for taking big bucks. Im a little jealous :bash:and I let it get to me for a few minutes then it dawns on me , I shot a great wild and free range woods buck in a forested area without supplemental feed the protection of large tracts of posted land and limited hunting pressure.I congratulated him again at lunch and when he started in with the ... my bucks bigger than yours .... i smiled and reminded him i was a hunter ... not a deer farmer ... boy that got his goat . :poke:

dpj1030 11-23-2010 02:56 PM

Hahahah thats funny ****

7MMXBOLT 11-23-2010 03:06 PM

Yah, some hunter these days get so involved with all they see on these TV hunting shows, so they go out of their way to get large tracks of land and put these food plots in and think they can call themselfs hunters. Like you said, they aren't hunters, they're nothing but deer farmers. Those hunter are the type that the only way they could shoot a nice wild buck is by **** luck. Probably they got sick and tierd of only shooting the small ones every year and feel the need to brag about the big bucks they now shoot. Everybody is always looking for the easy way out.

That's alright, we know who the real hunters are. The ones who put their time in every year scouting wild deer and actually know what they are looking at and how to go about it.

Daveboone 11-23-2010 03:13 PM

For a number of years I had an overgrown farm to myself to hunt. With the help of a few food plots, I shot some darn nice bucks over the years. Then I realized that I was shooting the bucks, not hunting them. Several years ago I acquired a small camp within a large tract of publiic lands, and started hunting again. Last year I shot a nice big bodied 4 pter, and was more proud of that then the much larger bucks I shot at the farm. Way to go, buddy!

nysmoker 11-24-2010 02:46 PM

Dave i have had the pleasure of hunting the moose river plains up in the dacks 14 years ago shot a dandy 8 pt up there.Love the hunting ... so much to see and so few people with minimal effort of walking ...get one valley off the road and your on your own ... wish i could make another trip someday .