Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pisses me off

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default pisses me off

i hunt public property that borders private property. today i go out and shoot a nice 8 pointer that very well may be my biggest buck yet. start blood trailing it and sure enough it crosses onto this guys private land. so i back out and go to his door to get permission to recover my deer. this is what this ******* says to me. you hunt public land you stay on public land people ask me this all the time and the answer is no then shuts the door in my face. so i have a nice buck just laying dead out their and cant do a thing about it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Call WMA and see what they say about it. They tell you to get permission. After that, I would go get my deer.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Yep
Call the authorities, not guaranteed but maybe a CO can talk some sense into him.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

As a landowner with land that borders stateland, have mixed feelings on this.
Understand your frustration on not recovering a deer, hate to see go to waste.
At the same time there are things you could have done to avoid this.
Don't hunt edges of stateland where have good chance of chasing deer onto privateland.
Can also ask permission of bordering land owners to recover possible game before hand.
Heck if your nice about it may even give you permission to hunt their land.
Don't knock on landowners door dressed in camo after the fact.
If you knocked on my door month before the season chances are good that I will give permission.
Knock on my door after the fact. My response will depend on my mood of the day.
Landowner may have probs with others and will not listen to your plea.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is calling the authorities going to do? The guy has a right to say yes or say no, and he chose to say no.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rory/MO
What is calling the authorities going to do? The guy has a right to say yes or say no, and he chose to say no.

Don't some states have laws saying that you can pursue wounded game onto adjacent properties?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Spike

As a Wisconsin Hunter Education Instructor, I listen to the local Warden cover this subject a couple times a year during our classes. Generally, in Wisconsin if this issue occurs, the warden can go on the property and obtain the deer, however, in almost all cases, he then confiscates the animal and then it is donated to the local food pantry...neither party gets what they want....the hunter wants the deer, the land owner doesn't want anyone coming on his land. The wardens all state they hate to be caught in this situation, but, have found, in our area anyway, this is the best way to approach it and deal with it...at least the deer doesn't become wolf/coyote food then. We try to preach to the kids to get permission from land owners far in advance, and, be willing to offer a tresspass fee, even if it is only to get your deer and get out.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by cal516
Call WMA and see what they say about it. They tell you to get permission. After that, I would go get my deer.
I Agree with that!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Don't some states have laws saying that you can pursue wounded game onto adjacent properties?
I don't know about other states, but in Missouri, the regulations state clearly that you can't trespass just to retrieve a deer, or any other animal you've shot.

I do some of my hunting on conservation land and it would suck to watch a buck run onto private land and not be able to retrieve it, but landowners have rights and have paid several thousand dollars for their land, not to mention the on going taxes.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Yes there are some states, but if that was the case he wouldn't have had to go ask permission in the first place. I believe more states than not you have to get permission.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.