Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pisses me off

Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

For all the land owners I'm not meaning any disrespect, I know ya'll work hard to get and maintain what ya got. But in this case I think it would've been better ''to ask for forgivness, than ask for permission''. Meaning I woulda just went in fast to get my deer.
I don't know I have permission where I hunt and all adjoining lands and the public land I hunt is huge! Anyway I hope ya get it worked out. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

This is a good example of the maxim "no good deed goes unpunished."

You went above and beyond to do the right thing, and you get screwed. I would have stowed my weapon in the truck and retrieved my deer without asking. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
This is a good example of the maxim "no good deed goes unpunished."

You went above and beyond to do the right thing, and you get screwed. I would have stowed my weapon in the truck and retrieved my deer without asking. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

completely disagree,
burden is on the hunter to do the right thing,
not the landowner to grant permission after the fact,
right thing to do would have been to take precautions to avoid this to begin with.
if animal gets wasted or becomes coyote dinner, thats the hunters fault, not the landowners.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

i too own land near stateland. I don't let people hunt my land and I toss ones out that just come on the property. HOWEVER, I always grant permission to those who ask to retrieve a deer. I even go and help.

In your case you tried to do the right thing and that didn't pan out. If you didn't have respect for the land owner or the animal you wouldn't be on here asking. that said, you're obviously a stand up guy. I'd go in at night and get your deer.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Spike

I am so sorry this happened to you. My father and I hunt on private land and the land owner ONLY lets us hunt there but he told us to let people come on that are tracking a deer they shot. All the adjacent lands that we hunt next to we either have permission to hunt on or atleast cross to get our deer if it was to cross their boundries. This is very sad, hopefully things might work out for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing, landowner has final say. Talk to him after the season and try to get permission to track a wounded deer for next season, if you have to, ask to track without your weapon that sometimes works for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year,arrowed a nice one on my property and tracked it to neighbors land and was told the same thing! It sucks but it is there right to not allow you to recover.In my sittuation the landowner recovered the deer and kept it,although pissed I was glad that it didn't go to waste.

Last edited by wvnimrod; 11-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rory/MO
What is calling the authorities going to do? The guy has a right to say yes or say no, and he chose to say no.
It goes beyond that IMO.
It's our responsibility as ethical hunters to make every effort within reason to recover an animal.
This includes asking a CO for advice/ help.
I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had tried everything legally to try and recover the animal.

Last edited by onion721; 11-23-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

We own a little land but not much and have run several people off of it and as long as they have not been caught tresspassing before hand then we tell them no weapons, trucks or ATV's and we usually will help the person if they need it. Never had a problem and the hunters have been very happy about it and adhear to are conditions.

If a landowner wouldn't allow me to track a deer on his ground that is his call I may not like it but to me if someone takes the time to ask permission to track a wounded animal then you know there most likely on the up and up.

Also if I found out the land owner retrived my deer I would be sure to contact the Game Warden to make sure it was checked in. If they didn't guess who gets the ticket? Not me cause I didn't tresspass. Have seen this very thing happen before and the land owner got a big fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I blame the hunter

There is no great reason a hunter on public property is forced to hunt right on the property line with private property.
If you're near private property, you better be a good shot. In archery, you better be a real good shot and be over a hundred yards away from the property line.
And I bet, you weren't the first hunter looking for a deer on that private property, adjoining public lands.

I remember one state on recovering deer. If you shot a deer and it ran, the hunter who shot it last, got the deer. I had a buddy who shot a deer, it ran off, and a hunter with a 30-30 dropped it on the spot and claimed the buck. We joked about the 30-30 hunter for some years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.