Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pisses me off

Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 AM
  #31  
Nontypical Buck
 
VAhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 3,116
Default

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Messed up b doing the legal, ethical thing????????????

Amazing those that think a property owners rights are just suggestions to be ignored when it does not suit them.

Get prior permission, hunt farther from the line and be a better shot. It's not your deer just because you get a hit on it. Hunters trespassing for any reason give all a bad name - something that more then a few obviously could care less about.
I agree with you concerning property rights and permission to recover should have been obtained prior to the season. But sometimes things happen that you don't or can't plan for. Sometimes that "perfect" shot can turn out to be not so perfect.
VAhuntr is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:16 AM
  #32  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moravia NY USA
Posts: 2,164
Default

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I agree with you concerning property rights and permission to recover should have been obtained prior to the season. But sometimes things happen that you don't or can't plan for. Sometimes that "perfect" shot can turn out to be not so perfect.
I agree with you - even a great shot can go wrong. But when it happens, it does not justify an illegal action and ignoring the rights of others. We must prepare for everything we can control and be willing to accept the consequences when it does go wrong.
SteveBNy is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 AM
  #33  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: gulf coast
Posts: 76
Default

get some heavily constructed bullets and put a high shoulder shot on them.should drop em on the spot.is the no hunting public land next to his blind open for walking or mushroom hunting?if it is,let the cpo know you are going there to walk or photograph.just get there early to make sure he is in his blind.i beleive in live and let live,but i also beleive in payback.
rab123 is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 AM
  #34  
Fork Horn
 
Alex G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 317
Default

Originally Posted by Terasec
As a landowner with land that borders stateland, have mixed feelings on this.
Understand your frustration on not recovering a deer, hate to see go to waste.
At the same time there are things you could have done to avoid this.
Don't hunt edges of stateland where have good chance of chasing deer onto privateland.
Can also ask permission of bordering land owners to recover possible game before hand.
Heck if your nice about it may even give you permission to hunt their land.
Don't knock on landowners door dressed in camo after the fact.
If you knocked on my door month before the season chances are good that I will give permission.
Knock on my door after the fact. My response will depend on my mood of the day.
Landowner may have probs with others and will not listen to your plea.

+1 Great Points
Alex G. is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
  #35  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 320
Default

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
Well you know what I would do and most of you would raise hell at me but at dark I would get my deer and not look back.
If fewer hunters followed your advice, more hunters would be granted permission to recover their deer. The reason most land owners have issues like this is because it's often a perennial problem with trespassers. You get fed up with it after a while (speaking from experience).
UPHunter08 is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:15 AM
  #36  
Fork Horn
 
DocD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472
Default

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
Well you know what I would do and most of you would raise hell at me but at dark I would get my deer and not look back.
That is the exact reason you are refused, Hunters (and I hate to say this) are there own worst enemy, we have an 80 we use very little (preferring to hunt closer to home) for many years we have said nothing about hunters retrieving animals, but the destruction and complete disregard for the property has encouraged us to stop this practice, now we will allow the person to retrieve the animal only if a blood trail is seen entering the property and they retrieve the animal without a firearm, we tried to be decent about it because we are a hunting family, but this sneaking in and cutting fences, leaving gates open, etc we will not stand for, as others have said, ask nice, before hand if possible, JMOP Doc
DocD is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 AM
  #37  
Fork Horn
 
Alex G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 317
Default A little late

After reading all the responces to the original post I'm thinking I need to comment alittle more than just a +1 to Teresec.

A few of the responces to seabee77 were spot on. Get permission of the surrounding areas "prior to hunting the land". My hats off to those that responded that way.

For those that said, you tried, he's a jerk, go get it anyway, wait until dark. WOW, I really can't believe that these are responces coming from land owners and hunters! Next time your sitting there looking out your window at night and see a flashlight walking thru your woods, think about what you wrote and then think about your actions that will follow.

Ethical hunting does not only encompass treating others, the land and the animals with respect, but it also encompasses the way you plan for a hunt and the way you handle yourself during it. Prior planning makes for great bedfellows and touching bases with all the landowners "months" prior to the hunting season will either pay great dividends... or you will know where you should not hunt because you don't have permission to enter the land. Would you really want to take a chance on entering private land to retreive a dead or perhaps wounded deer when you dont know the land? I personally would not want to be on the receiving end of a silenced .22, a piano wire booby trap or a angry group of the landowners dogs in the middle of the night or in broad daylight for that matter.

Lets all do the right thing and tell the OP the correct answer.
Alex G. is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 AM
  #38  
Nontypical Buck
 
VAhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 3,116
Default

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
I agree with you - even a great shot can go wrong. But when it happens, it does not justify an illegal action and ignoring the rights of others. We must prepare for everything we can control and be willing to accept the consequences when it does go wrong.
You are right. Property lines are there for a reason.
VAhuntr is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 AM
  #39  
Fork Horn
 
wvnimrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S.Illinois
Posts: 333
Default

I am a landowner and I would NOT give prior permission for recovery! I would and have granted permission to recover,but I like to know when and where people are on my property! And most landowners I know feel the same way! It opens the door for trespassing under the giuse of recovery.
I will grant permission and help in the recovery,but only after the fact.
And this I learnd from experience!
wvnimrod is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 06:22 AM
  #40  
Fork Horn
 
Alex G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 317
Default

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I am a landowner and I would NOT give prior permission for recovery! I would and have granted permission to recover,but I like to know when and where people are on my property! And most landowners I know feel the same way! It opens the door for trespassing under the giuse of recovery.
I will grant permission and help in the recovery,but only after the fact.
And this I learnd from experience!
wvimrod, I knock on your door in July and introduce myself. A little small talk perhaps and let you know that I'm going to be hunting the 150 acres of public land to the northwest of your land. I ask you if its alright to come to your door to ask permission to recover a deer if one crosses onto your land when it happens. Not just for blatant permission to come onto your land. If you say sure, just make sure that you come and ask, then everything is great, I hand you my card with all my contact info and say perhaps I'll stop by a few times before the season to say hi if its okay. And this is done with all the land owners that you might expect a wounded animal to run onto their land. I (me personally) am not just telling everyone to ask for open permission, but thats up to the individual landowner if they want to do that. But how if I were the landowner know who was walking around shinning the flashlight if I just gave open permission to peoiple to recover their kills? I for one, as I stated before, would not want to be the one that didnt ring the doorbell prior to crossing that line.
Alex G. is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.