Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pisses me off

Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I would also like to add,
The right thing to do is to take the tag, fill it out and mark it as unrecoverable.
And to report it as any other,
Game commission may even issue you a replacement tag,
The right thing to do isn't always the most pleasant.
But that tag is to cull the herd, and that you did.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
There is no great reason a hunter on public property is forced to hunt right on the property line with private property.
If you're near private property, you better be a good shot. In archery, you better be a real good shot and be over a hundred yards away from the property line.
And I bet, you weren't the first hunter looking for a deer on that private property, adjoining public lands.

I remember one state on recovering deer. If you shot a deer and it ran, the hunter who shot it last, got the deer. I had a buddy who shot a deer, it ran off, and a hunter with a 30-30 dropped it on the spot and claimed the buck. We joked about the 30-30 hunter for some years.
We don't know the circumstances as to why the OP was hunting near a property line. I think it's pretty crappy for a landowner to deny access to a hunter retrieving game on his property, even though it's well within his rights to do so. I agree that arrangements should have been made prior to hunting season with all adjacent landowners, but things don't always go as planned. Seems the OP in this case did follow all the rules but just happened to run across a jerk.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 60 acres bordering a large tract of heavily hunted state land - have heard and seen every excuse. If someone does contact us, they only go in with us and there better be a blood trail showing it was shot off our property or they get charged and not allowed to recover. Anyone caught trying to recover without contact gets no break regardless of bloodtrail, whether they are carrying a weapon or anything else - charged and denied - no warnings any more.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
We don't know the circumstances as to why the OP was hunting near a property line. I think it's pretty crappy for a landowner to deny access to a hunter retrieving game on his property, even though it's well within his rights to do so. I agree that arrangements should have been made prior to hunting season with all adjacent landowners, but things don't always go as planned. Seems the OP in this case did follow all the rules but just happened to run across a jerk.
I agree you souldn't hunt on or close to property lines,but the OP never said he was hunting on or near the property line but stated that he tracked the deer to the property line,and anyone that has hunted knows how far a deer can go even after a good hit!
So I don't see where he did anything wrong,in fact it sounds to me that HE the OP is a very ethical hunter! he did exactly what he was required by law to do!
And unfortunately had a bad outcome!There for being pissed, is a reasonable response!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

here were the circumstances. i am hunting public land that is surrounded by water on one side and this guys property is on the other side. were i am hunting is a perfect funnel where a cove comes in and pinches them in. it is a stretch of timber probably 100 yrds deep by 300 yrds long with his property bordering the other side which is mostly open fields. i found this spot scouting after the season started and just didnt think to try an get permission before hand in this case dont think it would have mattered. with him having a huge gun blind in his back yard i really didnt think he would mind if this was ever to happen. funny thing is his gun blind backs up a huge crp field that is on the public land side that doesnt allow any gun hunting. bet that doesnt stop him from shooting deer out of it since theirs a window on that side. i understand its his property and he has the right but him being a hunter himself is just rediculous to deny me the chance to get my deer.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

That really sucks. Any chance you tried offering him a small fee for the trouble? Knowing now that he is a hunter, it probably wouldn't have made a difference. He probably went back there and recovered it himself. You should've told him it was a doe or small buck! : )
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Well you know what I would do and most of you would raise hell at me but at dark I would get my deer and not look back.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you done messed up asking in the first place if hes a hunter it is in his freezer.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I agree you souldn't hunt on or close to property lines,but the OP never said he was hunting on or near the property line but stated that he tracked the deer to the property line,and anyone that has hunted knows how far a deer can go even after a good hit!
So I don't see where he did anything wrong,in fact it sounds to me that HE the OP is a very ethical hunter! he did exactly what he was required by law to do!
And unfortunately had a bad outcome!There for being pissed, is a reasonable response!

I was quoting "Valentine" on hunting near the property line and agree with you....I'd be pissed too! However, as it turns out the original poster was near the line.....which as long as he stayed on the state property was perfectly legal.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
Sounds like you done messed up asking in the first place if hes a hunter it is in his freezer.
Messed up b doing the legal, ethical thing????????????

Amazing those that think a property owners rights are just suggestions to be ignored when it does not suit them.

Get prior permission, hunt farther from the line and be a better shot. It's not your deer just because you get a hit on it. Hunters trespassing for any reason give all a bad name - something that more then a few obviously could care less about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.