Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how young is too young for firearm youths? >

how young is too young for firearm youths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how young is too young for firearm youths?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default how young is too young for firearm youths?

what age limit do you think it should be for kids hunting deer with firearms? Michigan wants to propose a bill that would eliminate the minimum hunting age!!
many believe that is good as long as they are with a adult you can take your 5 and 6yr old out in the woods.
but what is a "responsible adult"
plus this will open a can of worms for the Violators bringing in many more tags to the household buying tags for the kids that don't hunt!!!
and I believe many fathers will think that their 8-10yr old son is trained and mature enough to sit on his own!!
is this just a quick fix to bring money in to a state that is suffering??
any thoughts???
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on the child IMO. I know of adults who shouldn't even be allowed to sit by themselves in the woods, but 9 and ten year olds who would do fine on their own. If a child can handle the weapons responsibly and show that they can, I would have no problem putting them in a stand; on their own however is a different story.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I agree Iowabuck,I too have known adults over the years that had NO right to have a gun in hand!!!!
but what is sad some of these adults will have kids that they would be responsible for in the hunting enviroment!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely depends on the kid. My oldest three I wouldn't have had them hunt on their own til they were at least 10-12. My youngest son was much more mature and handled a gun and hunting quite well at 6.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

My dad started me out shooting when I turned four. Small game hunting when I was eight, and deer when I was 12(State Law in Pa, which is the only state we deer hunted in at the time). It's an individual basis I suppose, depending on the kids maturity and responsibility. I dont think any age is to young to start shooting, as long as it is well monitored of course. But hunting requires judgements that many kids are not ready to make.
-Jake
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

My oldest boy is 7 years old and killed his first deer this year, his first year hunting. I sat with him. In MO, a youth hunter is not able to hunt on their own until they pass the hunters safety course and the minimum age to take the course is 11 years old. Seems like a reasonable age to me.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

"It depends on the child IMO. I know of adults who shouldn't even be allowed......." IOWA

Truer words were never spoken !
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Deer hunting in New york used to be 16 they finally lowered it to 14 But I think 10-12 dependant on child w/ an adult for the first yr would probably be better yet I agree there is too young ive watched some kids on hunting shows 4 or 5 shooting deer. At that age there is just no appreciation for the act of killing. Or in my opinion the true consequences of your actions, adult or not. Some may disagree just my thoughts
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by steelhead777
what age limit do you think it should be for kids hunting deer with firearms? Michigan wants to propose a bill that would eliminate the minimum hunting age!!
many believe that is good as long as they are with a adult you can take your 5 and 6yr old out in the woods.
but what is a "responsible adult"
plus this will open a can of worms for the Violators bringing in many more tags to the household buying tags for the kids that don't hunt!!!
and I believe many fathers will think that their 8-10yr old son is trained and mature enough to sit on his own!!
is this just a quick fix to bring money in to a state that is suffering??
any thoughts???
At the age of Accountablity......What ever age that might be!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the replies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.