Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how young is too young for firearm youths? >

how young is too young for firearm youths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how young is too young for firearm youths?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Spike

I would have to say it all depends on the training the youngster had before he starts to hunt.I have seen too many times at a shooting range where a father pulls out a high powered rifle and gives it to his son or daughter and has to explain why the gun won't shoot because the safety is still on.sometimes this is the weekend before the deer season starts on a monday.I would hate to see him out on his own with training like that.some youngsters in the south can hunt at age 8 or 10 and do just fine but many were taken out well before that.there is alot more then someone no matter what age being able to look through a scope, and pull the trigger on a gun.a 5yr old could do it with no problem.it is more important on knowing that the gun they are shooting will not only shoot an animal they are after but, also any human being in its path along with themselves if not handled in the right way.I know what the issue is in trying to get jr hunters in to hunting sooner because if many start at an earlier age they are more apt to continue hunting.the reason for age limits on when a person can hunt is to think about how mature a person is to handle a loaded gun which can kill not only someone else but if not handled properly even himself.one size does not fit all and I guess that is why we have laws on age limits.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son was in the field with me at age of 5. Not hunting, just going along. Took his hunter safety education class at 8 and passed. Harvested his first deer at 9 with me in stand with him.
He turns 21 in 2 months and has hunted 11 states and Canada with me and I have not looked back one time!!!!