Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunter here, questions about shotguns >

New Hunter here, questions about shotguns

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter here, questions about shotguns

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

youdon't need any extra barrels..

Get the 870 Magum and Improved Cylinder Choke for slugs....Turkey choke for turkeys and full for geese.

and for 59.00 Gobble Dot sites...makes a huge differerence
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Spike

Usually want an open choke like ic (improved cylinder ) for slugs. Getting a cantilever rifled barrel is an excellent idea because it will be much more accurate. Plus I have long(28+) vent ribs on my bird/trap guns. Turkey get the guillotine from my bow
Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have a remington 870 and i use it for anything. I have a rifled barrel and a smooth barrel with different chokes. rifled barrel for deer, smooth for anything from trap to ducks to rabbits. bow hunting is fun but deffinantly a challenge.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I recommend a combo shotgun that comes with a smoothbore barrel that accepts different choke tubes, and a rifled slug barrel with a cantilevered scope mount.

With the various chokes you can hunt all small game, turkeys, ducks and geese, etc. The slug barrel is obviously for deer, but other big game too like black bears, boar, heck even moose.

If you decide to stick with gun hunting you can buy other guns for more specific purposes, but the combo shotgun is the cheapest way to get into it, and is still a gun you will hang onto for its versatility.

Mine is a Mossberg 500 that came with a smoothbore slug barrel/iron sights. It is good out to 75 yds for deer. These days most combos come with a rifled barrel. The remington 870 is another good choice. Pick one of each up and see which you prefer.
This is the way to go. A Mossberg 500 or a Remingotn 870 will get you setup nicely. Buy a decent scope and spend the money necessary to find out what slugs shoot the best and you will have a nice combo gun to enjoy for years.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
I take it you are not experienced with a shotgun. You have to pump it hard enough to eject the empty case and load a new shell.

The ONLY thing I dont like about the 870 is I have had problems before when I would shoot a shotshell everything would jam up and I couldnt get it to unload because of being locked up.
[/quote]

Been shooting shotguns since I was 10. Im 26 now. Trust me when I say it LOCKED up. I know how to eject a shell.

1. put shells in the magazine through the bottom
2. hold the action release button in
3. pump the forearm, watching to see that the shell goes into the chamber correctly.
4. take the safety off
5. FIRE
6. After you fire, the action release button doesnt have to be pushed to load another shell. HOWEVER I like to hold my finger on it anyways.
7. pump the forearm again. fired shell ejects, new shell goes in chamber.

8. dont accuse someone of not knowing how to use a shotgun.

It is not right when you have to beat the damn butt of the gun on the ground 7 or 8 times to get the action to UNLOCK from its stuck position. THINK OF USING A POST HOLE DIGGER. It took that much force. Happened 3 or 4 times before I stopped using that gun. Dangerous: YES. Never beat a gun on the ground if it still has shells in the magazine tube. Im sure if you were unlucky enough, they could go off and cause serious injury/death.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had my 870 do similiar things with diferent sized shells..you are correct..Mine has never totally locked up { Been hunting for 45 years }...I forget now but one of the shells did not eject smoothly for me neither..it might have been the 3 1/2 Nitros ..I use 2 3/4 " Winchester slugs..fact I'm using it tomorrow..I shoot them out of my Improved Cylinder choke and it consistently puts them in the money at 100 yds..I'm actually flabbergasted..My Ithica ..went back into the gun bag..forever ..The 870 Mag. Remington is unbeleivable.The Gobble Dot site helped a ton though..it did not shoot like this out of the store..I had to shoot it in.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

There have been more than a few complaints with newer 870s having rough chambers and ejection problems. The fix is usually to hone the chamber a bit. I hear it is more common with Express models than Wingmasters.

As far as smoothbore chokes and slugs, you'll have to try different combinations. IC or modified are recommended most often. There are lots of slug brands and they perform differently. You can shoot foster type and hybrids in a smoothbore.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 11-23-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
There have been more than a few complaints with newer 870s having rough chambers and ejection problems. The fix is usually to hone the chamber a bit. I hear it is more common with Express models than Wingmasters.
its a newer express. Ive only had trouble out of shotshells. I only use Winchester shells in it. Slugs have never made it lock up. Its frustrating when youre out squirrel hunting and it happens.

Last edited by bristowboy_20; 11-23-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

It sounds as if you just want to get started in hunting and want a weapon that will let you hunt almost any animal.I won a mossberg 500 shotgun at a gun raffle with screw in chokes.it came with mod.imp.full and extra full chokes.I bought a rifled barrel for it on e-bay and use that for deer.I hunt in ohio with the mossberg because ohio is shotgun only.in pa I use my 760 30-06 pump for deer.I like both guns but do prefer the rifle over the shotgun.I would suggest you start out with a shotgun and be able to hunt more game with it.I started out with a single barrel shotgun because that is what my dad had to give me.I now own two 760 rifles,a 30-30 pump a 30-30 stevens bolt action,an inline 50caliber muzzleloader, a 500 mossberg shotgun and a ithica model 37 12 ga shotgun. also included in my collection is a recurve, compound and just last year my new crossbow. the reason I brought up all the weapons you see here is not to brag about what I have but to show you that once you get started in hunting and get addicted it doesn't matter what you start out with you will eventually inherit a bunch of weapons to enjoy the sport of hunting and that is the most important thing.the next step will be to show someone else how to get started in the sport.good luck to you whatever you choose to hunt with.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Spike

In illinois rifle's for deer are illegal. I use a shotgun for everything and its old but in great shape. its a 870 wingmaster with a modified barrel, no choke tubes here. Jus shot my buck at over 75 yards with a smoothbore and open sights, double lung. Most guns shoot where you point, jus depends how good you point lol i would suggest a shotgun what kind is up to you and your budget. Slugs should be shot out of the most open choke you have. if you've got the money you can't go wrong with the Italians!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.