Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunter here, questions about shotguns >

New Hunter here, questions about shotguns

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter here, questions about shotguns

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 30-30 Savage
i think shotguns suck for deer hunting but then again ive never used one. i say use a 30-30
I'm willing to wager that shotguns have accounted for more deer harvests than CF rifles.
I know for a fact that shotguns have harvested more B&C bucks than the most popular CF rifle caliber.

I wouldn't even switch to CF if given the choice, out of dozens of deer I've harvested, only 2 were > 125yds.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I started out hunting deer with just a shotgun, they knock em down...nothing wrong with Shotguns. I still hunt with one.

IF you are planning on all of them (Deer, Waterfowl), you could go with a remington 870 with a smooth bore and do all types of hunting with that. Just use rifled slugs. Then if you decide you like it, and want to upgrade a little, you could either get a rifle, or buy a cantilever barrel for the 870, thats what I use and love it.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Spike

thanks a lot for all of the responses! I am leaning towards the 870 combo, seems like at least for now it will serve my needs.

and, I do know how to use a shotgun, not sure what I said that made you think i didnt.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

I vote for the 870 Remington. Start with a shotgun barrel and as several here have stated get the cantilever barrel for deer if you like. I have had an 870 for more years than I care to admit and have literally put thousands of rounds through it between the skeet and sporting clay fields and sea duck hunting off the coast of Maine. I have never had a problem with the gun at all.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Spike

I use a mossberg super mag. 3 1/2 Inch 00 buck shot for deer. Works great. Alot recoil there. Rifles are great for shooting over 45 yards. Get what fits the area your hunting and the game laws in your state.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Remington 870 is a decent gun. Get one with 2 barrels. One rifled and one smooth bore." Bristowboy

Good starter set-up - nuff said.................!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

Remington 870 is the gun I first started with and I still use it. I use if for early trurkey season, dove, duck, coons, squarrils, but buck shot in it for deer when we run dogs. its just a great gun. I also have it near by if I need to use if when someone breaks in.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in CT also and been hunting deer & ducks for quite a while. What part of the state are you located?
Any perticular question about CT hunting or guns send me a PM an we can discuss at length.

Take Care, Jeff
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Spike

Thanks a ton guys!

Thanks Jeff, I live in the southwestern part of CT, you?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
Shotguns dont suck for deer lol. Sure theres a little more kick, but theyre fine.
I agree with that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.