HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What month is best month to use bait for deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334796-what-month-best-month-use-bait-deer.html)

mtnscapes 11-22-2010 12:27 PM

What month is best month to use bait for deer

I would like to know what month do the majority of white tail deer hunters think would be the Best month to use bait to harvest a big buck?

critterkiller88 11-22-2010 02:34 PM

hmm. most frown on baiting but i would imagine it would be late season when food is scarce... thats what we go by for coyotes anyway

clwag 11-22-2010 03:18 PM

Out of curiosity, do deer hunters who also fish, feel the same way about baiting and high-fenced hunts as they do about chumming (where legal) and pay lakes? I was just wondering if folks viewed the practices in the same context.

Keep your line in the water and your powder dry.

Beezer 11-22-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by clwag (Post 3727031)
Out of curiosity, do deer hunters who also fish, feel the same way about baiting and high-fenced hunts as they do about chumming (where legal) and pay lakes? I was just wondering if folks viewed the practices in the same context.

Keep your line in the water and your powder dry.

I'm not sure I understand the context of you question. I use corn, it's legal where I hunt and I wouldn't use it if it wasn't. When fishing I fish in saltwater only, and I chum because it increases the bite. In saltwater, chum brings the bite and that's what it's about.

As for high-fenced hunts, whatever floats your boat. I don't really care what another does as long as it doesn't infringe on my enjoyment of my property and it's legal. Would I hunt high-fence? Probably, but I wouldn't pay to do it. In my opinion hunting, just like fishing, is about putting food on the table, I eat everything I fish and hunt for. Hunting inside a high fence would be nothing more than hunting where I do now, shopping for groceries.

HardwoodHunter 11-22-2010 06:40 PM

Big bucks don't usually like to feed at an unnatural food source

scribbler444 11-22-2010 07:21 PM

december-post rut

dpj1030 11-23-2010 11:34 AM

January-February in Florida

Stonewall308 11-23-2010 11:48 AM

Bait works best in the months when deer eat food.

M92 11-23-2010 12:01 PM

Im not much for baiting. But I do find I do better hunting their food post rut.

That said, I don't look down on folks that do bait their deer. Deer are professionals at staying alive. We humans are amateurs at hunting them. Even so with the folks that have spent their lives and make a living doing so.

Night Crawler 11-23-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3727569)
Bait works best in the months when deer eat food.

good one, the answer is months that end in y:poke: