Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio Youth Hunt

Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default Ohio Youth Hunt

I thought this was very interesting. As I stopped at a carry-out here in Ohio to get a pop, this carry-out is also a check in station. This is (guessing here) a 8 year old boy and his father had a nice 7 pt and a doe in the back of his pickup. While everyone was admirring the deer that he harvested, and his story how he took the deer was very interesting to everyone that was around. He stated that he shot the doe at first light, but here is were it captured everyone's attention. He started to talk about the buck, while his dad was talking to someone else, he stated that he shot at 50 yds away and missed and his dad grapped the gun and shot. At this point his dad turned almost shocked said no it didn't happen like that. You could almost tell that his dad was flustered cause he started to change the story about what happened, and he packed up and left quickly. Mean while as a couple of us that were still standing around discussed it thinking the same thing. Did the dad shoot the buck? All I know is that I have a 5 yr old, and the last thing I would want to do is to break hunting laws and take away the feeling of missing a deer, if the man didn't great for him but it sure started of that way, and we all know how kids tell stories. But I do know the guy that was checking in the kids deer over heard it to, and questioned us if we heard the same. So who knows.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Spike

It's to bad but I know a lot of that happens and on top of that I also know opf several check in stations that could care less of whether the father or son or daughter shot the deer.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

It's very possible. Maybe they needed the meat badly, not an excuse but a possibility. The youth hunt in my area went really well, I saw 4 different kids with deer.
-Jake