Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The Risk of Taking a Newb Hunting >

The Risk of Taking a Newb Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Risk of Taking a Newb Hunting

Old 11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

My view is if I take a new person hunting, I am doing it for them not me. My hope is they like it enough to stick with it as we need more conservationist added to our shrinking ranks. I spell out for them what they should do but I can't expect them to adhere by how I approach hunting.

My uncle who died a few years ago was a chain smoking wanderer through the woods, I didn't like hunting with him much but he always killed deer. That made me realize even though we hunt differently, both can be successful.

The worst thing you can do is try and judge someone for their inability to do what you think is correct while in the woods. If you go in with the idea that you are doing this for them and expect nothing, then you just may be surprised down the road. At least that is how I approach it.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

First off, you can't take a new person hunting and expect him or her to sit still and do everything perfectly the first time out. That isn't realistic. It sounds like you need to develop a little more patience (just like they do!)

Hunting is like learning any other sport--baseball, basketball, whatever. You develop skills over time. Taking someone out the first time and expecting them to perform flawlessly (re: sitting still for hours) isn't realistic and probably ensures they won't stick with it.

Break them in slowly. Maybe a late-afternoon sit for a short time during warmer weather or something.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

I took a friend out this year who has never hunted. Sat with him the first time in my daughters double treestand (they are definitely not made to fit two adults) to show him the "ropes". Saw a small buck, but a little too far off for a shot with the crossbow. Next time out, I put him in his own stand about 75yards from my daughter and I so I can keep and eye on him. About 10 minutes before we pack it in, a nice 10 point comes right to him and he did everything perfect the way I taught him.

I get a big kick out of watching him get all excited about hunting now. Not sure how much longer he will keep thanking me once he gets his taxidermy bill and has to start buying all his own hunting stuff though.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salmondan
I took a friend out this year who has never hunted. Sat with him the first time in my daughters double treestand (they are definitely not made to fit two adults) to show him the "ropes". Saw a small buck, but a little too far off for a shot with the crossbow. Next time out, I put him in his own stand about 75yards from my daughter and I so I can keep and eye on him. About 10 minutes before we pack it in, a nice 10 point comes right to him and he did everything perfect the way I taught him.

I get a big kick out of watching him get all excited about hunting now. Not sure how much longer he will keep thanking me once he gets his taxidermy bill and has to start buying all his own hunting stuff though.

So true! Seriously, good job...you've given that person a priceless gift.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
I try not to took newb out hunting right away.
I do take them scouting. And hiking pointing out droppings and scrapes, and what I can tell from the area. Such as food source, shelter, water, trails they use.
Many times I can even just be at someones house, walk in the backyard and point things out that they weren't aware of.

Also when scouting I will point out how quite the woods are when walking.
That's because they know we're here,
Then have them sit quiet for 10-20 minutes, and you start to hear the creatures of the woods as they get comfortable with your presence.
Many people expect instant gratification when first time out.
Takes many hours/days in the woods to be effective
Many people expect instant gratification when first time out.
Takes many hours/days in the woods to be effective ....10-4 to that!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Ill take new people out with me. But if they wont listen to anything I say when I get them within shooting distance and mess everything up because they dont have enough patience to wait 45 more seconds, I will not take them out again until they learn to LISTEN. Took my best friend out and we had a really nice doe and her fawn walking up the hill. I told him to wait until the doe came up and shoot her. I made it clear that the other deer was too small. So what does he do? He shoots as soon as he sees the deer's head and blows half its head away. It Was the BUTTON BUCK. The doe was 15 feet behind it! She ran off. This was okay with me though. It was his first deer! But before we even got out of the woods he had called someone to tell them to come get it because he didnt want it. He gave it away (Illegal) they didnt tag it. I took him hunting NO MORE. Hes lucky I didnt call a CO.

Next day I take my nephew out. a NICE big 6 pointer is coming to us. Hes gonna walk past at about 30 feet. I say WAIT until he comes to the clearing. 2 seconds later he shoots and hits a tree. Bye bye deer. Another 30 seconds and he woulda had it. Instead he shot while it was in the thick stuff. And I took him NO MORE. Not until he learns to listen.

If youre not gonna listen to what I say when I take you hunting, you can find someone else to take you.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

Default newb

I feel what you are saying when I started taking my son out and helped with trying to get a deer with my nephews.If you want to be successful for yourself you must go alone or with someone you have hunted with before.I hunt alone in ohio archery and shot my biggest buck ever a 10pt this year.I will be hunting with my brothers,son nephews, and grandson in pa.I will mostly be pushing deer for them so my odds at getting a shot at a deer go way down.the reason I do this is because my father took the time to take me out put up with my not being able to sit still or quiet and tried to push deer to me.before my brothers and I hunted with him he always took deer season off for vacation and in the end seemed to be able to get a buck.after that his odds or I should say his role in hunting changed with hunting with his son's.I don't feel guilty saying my hunting success has fallen do to hunting with newb's but what I gain when I see that smile on one of there faces when they shoot a buck or a doe makes it worth it.kind of makes me go back to when I shot my first deer and that someone who started me out was there with me my dad.