HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   got my very first deer! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334714-got-my-very-first-deer.html)

critterkiller88 11-21-2010 02:47 PM

got my very first deer!

well ive been bow hunting all season long, havent gotten one shot. i was laying all my hopes on shotgun at this point, and it definitely paid off.

Last night i was hunting on top of a hill, sitting behind a fence post in some trees, my buddy is 60 yards away facing the other direction so we have this spot covered. all of a sudden 2 does come barreling at me, with a wild dog chasing them! the one veers off and the other heads straight for my buddy, he pulls his gun for his own safety and the doe missed him by 2 feet, got the measurement from the foot prints! on this property wild dogs have become a big problem, not only for the hunters but for the people who live in this land. theyve killed family dogs and chickens and small livestock, the owner of the property asked that if we see any dogs or coyotes to take them out. well the dog gave me a 40 yard broadside shot, and my 12 gauge didnt let me down. after all the commotion a very small doe came out of the trees and walked toward the dog sniffing it . i could have shot it but i didnt want to waste the tag on a tiny doe.

this morning we set up the same way, seeing that we know the deer pass threw here. by 715 i had a 6 pointer come threw 65 yards up staring directly at my buddy. i knew he was going to run so this was my chance. i put the scope on him but couldnt get a clear shot with the thickets in the way, it was also uphill. i set the crosshairs where they needed to be and he took another step forward and when i saw the brown i pulled the trigger. he jumped in the air then hauled it threw the trees. i was so excited i didnt know what my next move should be! so we waited and talked about it, i was sure i made the shot. we walked the trail and found blood, then 20 yards in the thickets there he lay. definitely hooked now. i just hafta hit one with the bow this season!

im shooting a remington 887 slug gun, rifled barrel with remington 385 grain accutips 1850 fps. a note on these, they are dead on til 75 yards, at 100 yards they get squirrely, could only hold a 3 inch group. all the hornady ssts were gone!

could someone score him for me? im guessing 23 1/2 inch gross(joke)

FoldEmXtreme 11-21-2010 02:57 PM

Good job bud!

Backwoods7 11-21-2010 03:01 PM

Good job on the dog and the deer that's a great first deer. Good luck time to stick a deer maby a wild dog with the bowlol

mossberghunter93 11-21-2010 03:05 PM

Congrats on your first!

dpv 11-21-2010 03:16 PM

Very nice. my first was an anerexic doe....but it was awesome. You must be jazzed.

critterkiller88 11-21-2010 03:36 PM

thanks guys, im pretty pumped. i had problems with this gun, i just got it last week for this season. i planned on shooting open sights with it, but saturday morning i found 1 buck and 4 does in a field 3/4 of a mile away, i made my way in there direction, when i was around 900 yards they started noticing me. i army crawled threw a tilled cornfield to 78 yards, they started to notice me moving. i got to 60 yards and knew this was my chance. ive never shot a slug gun prone, and with open sights and no rest it was impossible. so i got outta there grabbed a scope and sighted it in, then in the field last night the magnification wouldnt work. so i hit this buck today on 8x mag, definitely tricky. this scope is going right back to the store this week. i told the kid this cheapo wouldnt handle this gun! i wanted the nikon slughunter but they were out so its on order and i bought a cheap 100 dollar bushnell just for the weekend. it worked good enough!

timbercruiser 11-21-2010 03:43 PM

I think he will gross 29 3/8 ths easily.........:D