Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Should I start taking wild shots? >

Should I start taking wild shots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I start taking wild shots?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Should I start taking wild shots?

4This morning I sat in my stand and watched two huge spikes standing about 15 yards from me. They stayed about ten minutes. An hour later I hear my dad shoot. I waited about 45 more minutes and I looked to my right about 100yrds down in the ottom I see a huge bodied dear moving. I looked through the scope and it was probably a 140-160 b&c buck. It's really thick were he was and I could just see his antlers and some of his neck. My dad said he would've tried the neck shot. I didn't feel comfortable trying a shot like that though. Instead I just waited and hoped he would walk in the open ut never happened. If I see another ig deer like this should I try the shot? Or be patient?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I dont think anyone would encourage a wild shot. But give me a neck shot and ill take it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Spike

you should only take shots that your sure of.if your not sure of a shot like this then practice it in the off season. i think practicing hunting shots make you a better hunter.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by floor ya
you should only take shots that your sure of.if your not sure of a shot like this then practice it in the off season. i think practicing hunting shots make you a better hunter.
+1 there. Part of being an ethical hunter is to put as little suffering into your kills.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Master Chief
4This morning I sat in my stand and watched two huge spikes standing about 15 yards from me. They stayed about ten minutes. An hour later I hear my dad shoot. I waited about 45 more minutes and I looked to my right about 100yrds down in the ottom I see a huge bodied dear moving. I looked through the scope and it was probably a 140-160 b&c buck. It's really thick were he was and I could just see his antlers and some of his neck. My dad said he would've tried the neck shot. I didn't feel comfortable trying a shot like that though. Instead I just waited and hoped he would walk in the open ut never happened. If I see another ig deer like this should I try the shot? Or be patient?
If you try to shoot through thick brush, the bullet might go any where.
It was a Verry Wise Choice, not to shoot.
He will be in the open soon enaugh.
A bad shot on a buck that size, and to loose him on a bad shot, will haunt you the rest of your life.

JMHO
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Master Chief
I waited about 45 more minutes and I looked to my right about 100yrds down in the ottom I see a huge bodied dear moving. I looked through the scope and it was probably a 140-160 b&c buck. It's really thick were he was and I could just see his antlers and some of his neck. My dad said he would've tried the neck shot. I didn't feel comfortable trying a shot like that though.
you done the right thing, if you get where you feel comfortable with the shot take it....but i have helped a lot of people look for deer with blown off jaw bones, shot thru the wind pipe,,, etc...,,,,but if there close enough and i feel good about the shot, no doubt, head or neck is hard to beat

Last edited by m.t.hands; 11-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends on the scenario and how clear the neck shot was.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Spike

I hit my deer this am threw thickets. 65 yard shot to the lungs. I shot a 385 grain Sabot tho. If your not comfortable with the shot wait it out
Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Spike

You owe it to that deer to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. Never risk simply wounding a deer in the hopes that you will get it done. If you had taken the shot and merely wounded him only enough for him to make it to the next county and die,unfound by you then there are no winners. You'll be forever haunted by the " I wonder if I missed" or "I wonder if he's close and I walked past him while searching" senario.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Whitetailmadness
You owe it to that deer to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. Never risk simply wounding a deer in the hopes that you will get it done. If you had taken the shot and merely wounded him only enough for him to make it to the next county and die,unfound by you then there are no winners. You'll be forever haunted by the " I wonder if I missed" or "I wonder if he's close and I walked past him while searching" senario.
Yes, there will be other days and better shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.