HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334621-just-watched-guy-shoot-deer-road.html)

scribbler444 11-20-2010 09:11 AM

just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road

Today is opening day gun season and my day got cut short cause of my stupid cousins wedding. I was driving home to change and I see a pickup truck pulledover with a quad in the back then I see a guy get out with his rifle and lea it on his hood as I passed I looked to the left and theres an absolue monster standing there rite off the road like 10 feet in an open field. Im saying probly scored 170 inches and it was perfectly symetrical. I heard the gun shot and actually saw the deer run off slowly with its tail down so I no he got it :mad: he was literally a foot off the road when he shot:eek2:. People passing by had to have saw him it was unreal. A buck gets that big and is that stupid...i shoulda told my feeling on this i thought itd be obvious.....but it disgusts me what he did.how could u be proud of a deer u didnt hunt makes no sense i shoulda called dec

Blackradio 11-20-2010 09:57 AM

yeah, blame it on the buck and not the ******* poacher. You should have got his plate and reported him.

MizzouMonster 11-20-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blackradio (Post 3725672)
yeah, blame it on the buck and not the ******* poacher. You should have got his plate and reported him.

Yep, the guy needs busted for sure IMO.

bristowboy_20 11-20-2010 10:11 AM

I saw something like this happen once. Only the deer was hurt or something. It was standing out in a field next to the road and 2 guys were standing 10 feet from it talking about it. It just stood there looking at them. We left and came back about half an hour later and the deer was still standing there. A different truck was there this time and a guy got out and he had a gun. We stopped and talked to him. He said he thought the deer must have gotten hit by a car so he walked up to it and put a bullet in it. The deer didnt look hurt. it walked around a little bit and acted fine other than the obvious fact that it wasnt running from the people. (coulda been someones pet I guess) But this guy didnt shoot from the road. He walked 50 yards into the field.

AND one night we hit a doe so we called a cop. Before the cop got there the doe just laid there. STILL ALIVE. She got up and started walking. I got out of the car and walked up to her and just kept my hand on her back and guided her around in circles until the cop got there. She was hurt. The cop got out and shot at her 12 times and she didnt flinch. Then my brother asked the cop if he could shoot it because he had a shotgun in the car with slugs. So the cop said yeah. One shot is all it took. 10PM at night. Thats the only reason we didnt just shoot her right away. Oh yeah.. Brother was standing on the highway too. Just thought I'd share.

Maddog10 11-20-2010 11:49 AM

You shoulda layed on the horn and tried to get the deer to run off. I know he probably wouldn't since he was used to cars but it might have worked... Then flipped the dude off as you drove by.

salukipv1 11-20-2010 12:27 PM

well in some states you can shoot off the hood of the truck if you're past the ditch...

but i hear ya!

lonewolf1990 11-20-2010 01:58 PM

i dont think that deer was stupid at all he probly knew that field was a safe place till that a**hole showed up and made a stupid shot but i would of got his plates and reported it

MrWinkles 11-20-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by scribbler444 (Post 3725660)
Today is opening day gun season and my day got cut short cause of my stupid cousins wedding. I was driving home to change and I see a pickup truck pulledover with a quad in the back then I see a guy get out with his rifle and lea it on his hood as I passed I looked to the left and theres an absolue monster standing there rite off the road like 10 feet in an open field. Im saying probly scored 170 inches and it was perfectly symetrical. I heard the gun shot and actually saw the deer run off slowly with its tail down so I no he got it :mad: he was literally a foot off the road when he shot:eek2:. People passing by had to have saw him it was unreal. A buck gets that big and is that stupid...i shoulda told my feeling on this i thought itd be obvious.....but it disgusts me what he did.how could u be proud of a deer u didnt hunt makes no sense i shoulda called dec

It disgusts me that you didnt.
Whats the phrase? Oh, yeah. "If youre not a part of the solution, youre a part of the problem."

jerrrrstanley 11-20-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maddog10 (Post 3725707)
You shoulda layed on the horn and tried to get the deer to run off. I know he probably wouldn't since he was used to cars but it might have worked... Then flipped the dude off as you drove by.

Exactly what I was thinking. Then start driving in a zig zag pattern because if he don't care to shoot a deer off of his hood he probably doesn't care to shoot YOU off his hood either! hahaha In VA they can take your truck if you shoot from it. Even if you are just leaning against it and not using it as a rest its still subject to siezure.

bigbulls 11-20-2010 07:33 PM

Was the road a paved and/or maintained road or a country dirt road?

What are the laws concerning shooting from a road in your state?

but it disgusts me what he did.how could u be proud of a deer u didnt hunt
I don't know the facts about this guy and this buck but sometimes people just get lucky. If I were walking to a stand or driving down an unmaintained road and saw a bruiser standing there looking at me I would shoot too.