Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road >

just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road

Old 11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

thats why hunters can get a bad name, people like that.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Was the road a paved and/or maintained road or a country dirt road?

What are the laws concerning shooting from a road in your state?

I don't know the facts about this guy and this buck but sometimes people just get lucky. If I were walking to a stand or driving down an unmaintained road and saw a bruiser standing there looking at me I would shoot too.

Your reasoning is complete bs. It makes no difference what kind of road you are on. It isn't whether it is legal to shot from the road it is an ethical thing. I know I would feel like a master hunter if I done that. And if you didn't have permission you would be tresspassing if it wasn't public land.

When I see a large buck in a feild driving to my stand to hunt I will stop admirer him and hope he makes it my way. But there is no way in hell legal or not I am shooting from the road or just off.

The only except to this would be a disabled person with a release from a DR and appoved my the state allowing him to hunt from his truck. I don't mean it ok if the said person drives around until he sees one to shot. The person should be hunting on ground he has permission to hunt and using his vechile as a stand not driving around the property.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have watched them hunt that way in Texas on TV. Everyone just assumes the guy was doing something illegal. He may have owned the land and as long as he wasn't doing anything illegal more power to him.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Where in NY are you?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
well in some states you can shoot off the hood of the truck if you're past the ditch...

but i hear ya!
LMAO I can't believe that's even a legal law. One of the craziest hunting laws I've heard. Hun grab your coffee cup there's a buck in the field we're ditching it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
LMAO I can't believe that's even a legal law. One of the craziest hunting laws I've heard. Hun grab your coffee cup there's a buck in the field we're ditching it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same law here, or one like it. If it's your land you can stop on the side of the road and shoot at anything on it.

I'm still a little unclear on something.....

Did your "stupid cousin" have a wedding OR did your cousin have a "stupid wedding."
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last year while driving down the highway, a beat up old car made a u turn in front of me heading back in my same direction. He flew off the highway probably going 40 mph, down an embankment and into the ditch. Just ahead of where he was stopping there were two does beside the highway. I blew my horn and they ran into the bushes. In my rearview I could see the man getting out of his car, but he was too late. As steep as the embankment was he probably had a hard time driving out of the ditch.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

You should hear the stories I have heard about guys who have hunted with the indians up here. They go out at night in a pickup. A driver, passenger with a spotlight and a guys in the bed with rifles. Shine em and shoot em.

Even thinking about it makes me angry. If I ever saw somebody poach off a road I would have pulled over, called the police, the wardens and anybody else who would answer the phone.

That's no better than the people who shoot deer in their backyards in residential areas. They think they can get away with it because they use a bow.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

This is why they make cell phones....I got a Game Warden on my speed dial..I've dealt with many folks out breaking the law fishing {Mostly cast netting for bass}

I carry binoculars to get the tag #.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Spike

A license plate and a call to the warden are easier than trying to weigh your chosen decisions later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.