Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetails and fog??

Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Whitetails and fog??

We had a heavy fog come in last night and it was still thick this morning. It usually lifts at daylight but I was in stand and by 9:30AM I still couldn't see more then 50 yards away. I was really thinking it would have kept the deer down all night and as soon as it lifted I might see some action. By about 10:30 it was pretty much gone and after a couple more hours I still hadn't seen a thing. I would like to here what others think the affect of fog on deer. This was the first time I can remember hunting in a thick fog.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Spike

Last year on thanksgiving, was like you described but it lifted about 8ish had 4does come into the field right as it was lifting. I dont know if they were down all night and up and moving later or if they were there the whole time. Interesting as most think of rain/snow, wind.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Tell me about it .It was so thick i miss my turn had to drive down the road aways to get turned around headed back and almost miss again .Hope it not that bad in the morning again .
Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen Deer moving in thick fog...came up on 2 Deer one time and was scared to shoot until I was sure of my target?There was a guy Tent Camping on the Farm that I knew about and I ended up not getting a Deer that rather than accidently shoot someone by accident.I think Deer move more in a fog because they can slip thru un-detected.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

was thick up in Winimac this morning. Had a monster Buck come right through it, not close enough for me to shoot, had 2 big does with him, one of them is now in my partners freezer...LOL. Wish I could have got a shot at that one, he was huge.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I shot my first buck in a medium fog. I think they move its just hard to see them.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley
I shot my first buck in a medium fog. I think they move its just hard to see them.
Im with you on this one. I killed a nice buck last year. The date was11/27/09 at 8:27am (to be exact lol) The fog was really thick. Lucky for me he decided to walk right passed my stand to a Doe Estrus wick I had hanging.