Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot Gun.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default Shot Gun.

Is it safe to shoot rifled slugs out of my smooth bore 20 Gauge? Ive heard yes and no, and i would like to knw the truth. Please let me know what u think.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Spike

Rifled slugs are designed for smoothbore guns. you can shoot the saboted slugs but with poor results
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Rifled slugs are designed for smoothbore guns. you can shoot the saboted slugs but with poor results
Thanks alot!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Spike

No Problem.... just check the box different brands have a reccomended choke for best accuracy. Try a couple of different brands, chokes, etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Spike

Rifled slugs are no problem in smooth bore shotguns. Keep in mind that the smooth bores are not nearly as accurate at long distances as the rifled barrels.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Brow Tine Productions
Rifled slugs are no problem in smooth bore shotguns. Keep in mind that the smooth bores are not nearly as accurate at long distances as the rifled barrels.
So 30 to 50 yards should be ok? Thats about as far as i will be shooting at one spot Im hunting. The rest of my hunting spots will be with my .243 and Bow.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BadCompany1
So 30 to 50 yards should be ok? Thats about as far as i will be shooting at one spot Im hunting. The rest of my hunting spots will be with my .243 and Bow.
you'll be fine. my dad hits accurately with his 16 gauge smooth bore at 100 yards. Good Hunting!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Spike

you shouldnt have a problem at all at that distance. I typically shoot 12ga sluggers and that 1oz slug starts doing all kinds of funny things at about the 80 - 100 yard range but at 30 - 50 yards you should be fine. I would at least set a target at 50 yds (your max range ) and take some shots that way you have a decent idea of what to expect at that range and to determind if any adjustments need to be made.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Thanks alot guys! Im gonna try it out when I get a chance and I will let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again.